Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

SW Missouri, newbie with a problem

Old 04-29-2019, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SW Missouri, newbie with a problem

Hey all, just joined the forum. About a month ago I got my first Wrangler, a 2011 Flame Red sport 2dr, 90k miles. Coming from a Liberty before that, this is quite the experience! Doors off and top down is a great feeling. I joined in order to diagnose some issues but looking to get involved and poke my nose around from time to time.

Now, the ongoing saga of my issue:
Yesterday I took advantage of a sunny day off and decided to clean the throttle body. It was fairly dirty, so I got it off without any problems and cleaned it with carb cleaner sprayed on a shop towel, along with the gasket. Got everything back together, but unfortunately a clip on the throttle body connector snapped off, but one is still good and really seems like a clean and solid connection. After reading other posts, I've also realized I should have disconnected the battery as well, which I did not do however the Jeep was off the entire time. Well I get in and the ETC light begins flickering after I start her up again, as well as pulsing/heaving RPMs. as seen here:

However this is only when idling and sitting for a while, it takes a few minutes for this to start up. Turning it off and back on and it's fine for a while. While driving there is NO perceived lag in throttle whatsoever, and hasn't actually done it to me when stopped at a stop sign or anything. No check engine light so far. Regardless, I begin researching. I took off the negative terminal and let it sit awhile to discharge and hopefully reset the computer as I had seen online. 30 mins later I reconnect, do a test drive, everything is fine.

Fast forward to today, I go to class and everything is still fine, until I get out of class and turn start it up. This time the ETC is flashing regularly, not flickering. Along with that the ESC light and check engine light are now on. I turn it off then back on again and get home just fine. I check the code, and it gives me P0507, "Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected." Seen here:

I decide to take off the throttle body again just to double check. I get it off and look at the gasket, and whether by design or deformity there is a section that matches with an indentation where the throttle body attaches. I align these, put it back on making sure the bolts are torqued, and see how it goes. I get no lights, no fluttering RPMs, nothing. I take it for a lengthy test drive, doing lots of accelerating with no hiccups. Stop and let it idle for quite a while, nothing out of the ordinary. I get home and it starts doing it again in the driveway, but so far I haven't gotten any lights besides flickering ETC. More research. I get a new PCV valve and get it installed, didn't help. Local parts store didn't have any gaskets for the throttle body in stock, but that may be my next step short of replacing the throttle body itself. Occasionally I'll get limp mode again, but a simple on and off and it's good to go. Again, turning off and back on clears the issue and driving has no problems. Go for another test drive and get home, and it idles fairly rough and at lower than usual RPMs, but no flutter and no ETC/ESC/check engine lights.

Can anyone lend any advice, seen similar situations? I've read about needing a computer reset, which has to be done with a special tool. I haven't found any other situations exactly like mine, so any help is MUCH appreciated.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

There are some points to consider when installing the throttle body.

1. Install a new intake manifold-to-throttle body gasket, if replacement was necessary.
2. Install four new j-nuts, if replacement was necessary.

CAUTION: The throttle body mounting bolts MUST be torqued to specifications. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN MOUNTING BOLTS. Over tightening can cause damage to the throttle body, throttle plate, gaskets, bolts and/or the intake manifold. Proper torque of the mounting bolts is critical to normal operation.

3. Install throttle body to intake manifold.
4. Install four bolts and hand tighten.
5. Connect throttle body electrical connector.

CAUTION: The throttle body must be torqued in a mandatory torque sequence. Tighten in a criss - cross pattern to specification.

6. Obtain a torque wrench. Tighten mounting bolts in a mandatory torque criss-cross pattern sequence to 65 in. lbs.
7. Install clean air hose and tighten clamps to 35 in. lbs.
8. Connect negative battery cable, tighten nut to 45 in. lbs.
9. Using the diagnostic scan tool, erase all previous DTC's and perform the ETC Relearn function.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply! For the sake of anyone looking at this with the same issues: I did an ECU reset ( https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/j...our-ecu-407330 ), and no codes were thrown, no ETC light/RPM flutter, and no limp mode. On first start up it started from about 1200RPM and settled at 650RPM. I let it idle for 10 minutes straight with no fluctuation or lights, but did seem a bit "chuggy". After ten minutes I revved it up to about 2500RPM since this seemed to trigger limp mode before, and got nothing. Guess we will see if it is a long-term fix.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Good to know it looks fixed.

Where are you located in Missouri?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Joplin! If you know of any easygoing places for a beginner to wheel let me know.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So, look up Ozark Jeep Thing on FB. They are a great club in that area (based out of Springfield but have members all over the state). As for places to wheel, SMORR (Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch) has trails for stock to wild. SMORR is like 3 hours from you. Then there's Disney OHV (Disney, OK) which is like an hour from you. It's also got stock to wild and some amazing waterfall climbs.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Greetings from South Central Missouri.
I hope that your problem is solved.

Bob R

Quick Reply: SW Missouri, newbie with a problem