Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Will the JL torpedo the JK ?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will the JL torpedo the JK ?

I'm thinking the JL will be big improvement over the JK in a lot of little ways that add up to the JL driving down the value of the JKs.
Why ? The Wranglers have had no competition, they've been the "only game in town", and as such, have too many quality issues and quirks.
The JL is in effect, the "Competition". FCA has been paying attention to this Forum, participating in Jeep Safaris, in short, being active in understanding and improving the brand. The JL will be a significant improvement in quality, interior storage, have a Modular Hardtop, LED lighting , and better fuel economy.
Our JKs will suffer by comparison (I'm refering to initial quality, stock vehicles- modified are a different point of comparison). Radiators, clock springs, cylinder heads, the JK list is depressing.
That means resale value of JKs will fall off, the "improved through Competition" will be the JL.
The fact that JK production will run side by side with JLs through early Spring, 2018 will let prospective buyers compare them point by point.
Since they'll have a 10 year, or longer , production run, there's plenty of time to decide.

Last edited by Four Low; 02-26-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

We'll all just have to see how it plays out.

I already intend to keep my current JK indefinitely. It's not going anywhere except the garage.

That being said, there are many features, that if they change, will prevent me from ever purchasing a JL or newer Jeep. I can not tolerate having a twist nob for the transfer case, I need a lever, I also need a pull lever for the emergency brake, not a switch, the list goes on and on. And for others there are other must haves. Like all the previous models there will be the same old same old, "that's not a Jeep!" Crap and the circle continues.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
We'll all just have to see how it plays out. I already intend to keep my current JK indefinitely. It's not going anywhere except the garage. That being said, there are many features, that if they change, will prevent me from ever purchasing a JL or newer Jeep. I can not tolerate having a twist nob for the transfer case, I need a lever, I also need a pull lever for the emergency brake, not a switch, the list goes on and on. And for others there are other must haves. Like all the previous models there will be the same old same old, "that's not a Jeep!" Crap and the circle continues.
I agree with the lever but I don't want to completely rule out the dial. My Tacoma with the 4 wheel drive dial had well over 100k on it without issues. Hopefully Jeep can make the dial as reliable as Toyota has
Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
I agree with the lever but I don't want to completely rule out the dial. My Tacoma with the 4 wheel drive dial had well over 100k on it without issues. Hopefully Jeep can make the dial as reliable as Toyota has
The problem with a dial is if something goes wrong with the electronics you will be stuck in 2 or 4 and won't be able to switch in or out. If something breaks on the manual lever linkage you can still crawl under and switch into 4 to get home. The same goes with the transmission I do not care for the electric knobs if you blow a shifter cable you can have your passenger or another guy put your tranny in gear or park manually under the vehicle. I've been there before.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cedarraider
The problem with a dial is if something goes wrong with the electronics you will be stuck in 2 or 4 and won't be able to switch in or out. If something breaks on the manual lever linkage you can still crawl under and switch into 4 to get home. The same goes with the transmission I do not care for the electric knobs if you blow a shifter cable you can have your passenger or another guy put your tranny in gear or park manually under the vehicle. I've been there before.
^^^^this.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

From what I've seen in Spy Photos, the E brake Lever is still there, as is Transfer case lever.
One poster, who claimed to be close to the JL design team, said differences in appearance will be subtle.
I "think" this means weight reduction through materials and design changes to increase fuel economy are a Big Deal.
The Folding windshield will be gone ; the "Sport Cage" MIGHT be replaced with a structural top that will have modular panels , for soft top or hard top configuration.
The vehicle needs to shed 500 lbs , a Turbo 4 cylinder is an Option.
I hope the Entry Level offers rubber or LineX type coating, 2dr without rear seat.
This is how the "entry level" YJ came out , to compete with the immensely popular and cheap Suzuki Samurai . The interior had rubber mats, or was bare, way back then, as a cost saver.
I can't wait to actually see the JL !
Old 03-04-2017, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Newsflash ! The JL will have a FOLDING WINDSHIELD, and its designed to fold more quickly and easily than JK one .
Good News !
Old 03-04-2017, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wrangler

New changes always take a while to get used to. Then they become accepted. Wait and see. it will happen.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

So far, all of the "improvements" I've actually seen on the JL website are good ones.
Looking forward to a First Person Look.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I hope the 6 speed manual is a more stout unit that has better feel in both the clutch and shift throw.

I'm not unhappy with the current unit, but Ive had two repairs done, including a squeaky clutch under 20k miles and the dreaded popping out of gear. The clutch is still going at 110k miles, though.

Quick Reply: Will the JL torpedo the JK ?