JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   NorCal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/norcal-77/)
-   -   looking for 3 day trail apart from rubicon and dusy ershim...... july 23/26 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/norcal-77/looking-3-day-trail-apart-rubicon-dusy-ershim-july-23-26-a-319608/)

afletche 03-30-2015 10:59 PM

looking for 3 day trail apart from rubicon and dusy ershim...... july 23/26

Hi - i have a small group of jeepers looking for a 3 day trail run July 23-26. we had planned to run dusy ershim but just found out that it doesn't open until aug 1st. so then we looked at rubicon again but it's jamboree weekend. it took forever to get our schedules aligned for that weekend so we're locked on the date, we just need a trail! it's four reasonably well setup JKUs - all are on 35-37's with 3-5" lifts but one has no lockers/lsd. all got thru the rubicon last year (we bypassed little sluice) without winching. not sure we're ready for fordyce just yet. where else is good within 4-5 hours of SF bay area? - thanks, Alan

JKZinger 03-31-2015 05:08 AM

Swamp lake trail up by the Dusy is open then and is a fun trail. It is easier than the Rubicon, but you can take different lines to make it interesting in a few spots. You could also add in Bald Mountain trail as a warmup, although if you like to relax at camp for awhile like we do we did it in 3 days/2 nights.

:beer::beer:

BKGM Jeepers 03-31-2015 06:41 AM

Fordyce will keep you busy but it's still not 3 days.

I'd do a combo run. A couple trails.

Barrett lake is supposed to reopen this year. I'd run Barrett and fordyce if you wanted an easy three day pace.

Sorry. Reread your post. It's a drought year. I bet Dusy will be open.

Open open on 35s will be fun on Dusy.

afletche 03-31-2015 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by JKZinger (Post 4078652)
Swamp lake trail up by the Dusy is open then and is a fun trail. It is easier than the Rubicon, but you can take different lines to make it interesting in a few spots. You could also add in Bald Mountain trail as a warmup, although if you like to relax at camp for awhile like we do we did it in 3 days/2 nights.

:beer::beer:

thanks for the suggestions - swamp lake looks pretty good. will look into that in more detail.

afletche 03-31-2015 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4078687)
Fordyce will keep you busy but it's still not 3 days.

I'd do a combo run. A couple trails.

Barrett lake is supposed to reopen this year. I'd run Barrett and fordyce if you wanted an easy three day pace.

Sorry. Reread your post. It's a drought year. I bet Dusy will be open.

Open open on 35s will be fun on Dusy.

i called the forest service and they said it's def not opening before August 1st. it's apparently a management issue vs weather related opening date.
do you think the dusy is going to be more "fun" w open open 35 than the rubicon? it's tough to see from the various videos. I'm Ok if a little help is needed occasionally but don't want to go there if it's going to be continually winching over stuff. thanks!

JK JK 03-31-2015 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by afletche (Post 4078757)
thanks for the suggestions - swamp lake looks pretty good. will look into that in more detail.

You could do Swamp Lake one or two days, attach Red Lake, Coyote Lake and Mirror Lake the next. Those trails will fill in your three days for sure.

JK JK 03-31-2015 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by afletche (Post 4078759)
i called the forest service and they said it's def not opening before August 1st. it's apparently a management issue vs weather related opening date.
do you think the dusy is going to be more "fun" w open open 35 than the rubicon? it's tough to see from the various videos. I'm Ok if a little help is needed occasionally but don't want to go there if it's going to be continually winching over stuff. thanks!

I haven't personally driven the Rubicon or the Dusy yet but I hear the Dusy is harder than the Rubicon and longer (33 miles).

spinuck 03-31-2015 04:51 PM

I'm hoping to put together a run at bald mtn, then camp and do swamp lake. Bald mountain was fun and very cool environment. haven't been through Swamp Lake yet.

epic_4x4 03-31-2015 04:55 PM

Camp at red lake trailhead "sand flats" you can hit bald, red, coyote, mirror, etc. within a few minutes of camp.

epic_4x4 03-31-2015 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by JK JK (Post 4078800)
I haven't personally driven the Rubicon or the Dusy yet but I hear the Dusy is harder than the Rubicon and longer (33 miles).

Originally Posted by afletche (Post 4078759)

Rubicon is "more fun" hands down, dusy is longer.