JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   NorCal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/norcal-77/)
-   -   Rubicon trail and camping info needed (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/norcal-77/rubicon-trail-camping-info-needed-306857/)

DEZ JK 07-07-2014 08:39 PM

Rubicon trail and camping info needed

Hey all,I am looking for some info on camping options while running the Rubicon trail.I will be traveling down from the Seattle area late August,everything I read talks about camping along the trail and take a few days.I am ok with that, but I was wondering if there's places to have a base camp and travel different parts of the trail and each day head back to a base camp.Any help or suggestions would be great ,thanks

HOGGSTATUS 07-08-2014 05:25 AM

We Sometime setup at Buck Island and wheel out from there. The trail can be done in 3 days or 5 hours 18 minutes!! Maybe if you'd like we can setup a run....it's always better to have someone who knows the trail.

BKGM Jeepers 07-08-2014 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by HOGGSTATUS (Post 3945154)
We Sometime setup at Buck Island and wheel out from there. The trail can be done in 3 days or 5 hours 18 minutes!! Maybe if you'd like we can setup a run....it's always better to have someone who knows the trail.

X2 on a buck island base camp. You can do some fun wheeling, and even fun night wheeling.

DEZ JK 07-09-2014 04:10 PM

Thanks for the info guys,I will look into Buck Island as a base camp,another question I have if using Buck Island are there roads to get into the area? The map I have does not show many roads,One rig in the group I will be traveling with will be trailering his rig down,would you be able to get a tow rig up to an area to camp around Buck Island?

TheDirtman 07-09-2014 04:25 PM

Most don't have a base camp they will camp at buck then at rubicon springs which has a campground with restrooms. Miller Lake is another spot to camp. You just move along the trail, there are not not many off shoots to run and run back to a central location. I ran from Reno to past big sluce and back to Reno in 7 hours including a 1.5 hour wait on Cadilac hill for a couple of broken down rigs to get dragged up the hill. The trail is not that long or hard to do to spend a lot of time on it unless you just want to camp in a pristine location.

There is a staging area at the Tahoe side of the trail but you are not going to get a tow rig to buck Island.

GueroDave 07-09-2014 08:47 PM

Just got home from 3 day trip. North to South. Camped 1st might in Rubicon Spring, 2nd night at Buck Island. You can stage at Loon Lake. From there it is 4 miles to Buck, 8 to the Springs. It is 8 miles from the Springs to Tahoe side staging. 6 miles of that is easy dirt road.

HOGGSTATUS 07-10-2014 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by DEZ JK (Post 3946243)
Thanks for the info guys,I will look into Buck Island as a base camp,another question I have if using Buck Island are there roads to get into the area? The map I have does not show many roads,One rig in the group I will be traveling with will be trailering his rig down,would you be able to get a tow rig up to an area to camp around Buck Island?

The trailer would have a stay at Loon....so no road to Buck.