Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

questions about Idaho

Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about Idaho

My family and I are thinking about moving to North Idaho after the new year. Possibly the CDA area. What are the trails like up there? Are there plenty of places to jeep?

I also like to shoot... can you shoot on BLM land up there? I'd like to live somewhat close to trails and places to shoot

What other areas besides CDA would you recommend checking out? We're gonna take a trip out there in Sept to look at different areas

thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in southern idaho, the north is beautiful. There is no where in idaho you can stand (except in a hole) and not see a mountain so lots of places to play. You can shoot on blm land. Idaho is full of open wilderness and sparsely populated.
There is also tons of desert areas to play with the jeep and shoot.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jbrodsky
My family and I are thinking about moving to North Idaho after the new year. Possibly the CDA area. What are the trails like up there? Are there plenty of places to jeep?

I also like to shoot... can you shoot on BLM land up there? I'd like to live somewhat close to trails and places to shoot

What other areas besides CDA would you recommend checking out? We're gonna take a trip out there in Sept to look at different areas

thanks!
I ran into a couple (husband and wife) about a month ago that just moved to the DFW area from CDA. They lived right on the lake, had a boat, lived for the summers. They absolutely hated the winters, but made the best of them...cross country skiing, etc, as they're both very outdoorsy.
If you're a big outdoors man, you'll love it. I even looked at job opportunities in that area about a year ago, but the wife has nixed anything that might have 6 months of snow as a job location.
Good luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

The snow in northern idaho is worse than here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_094434.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	468963  
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
The snow in northern idaho is worse than here
what part of ID are you in? did you just take that pic this month?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in southern idaho, the north is beautiful. There is no where in idaho you can stand (except in a hole) and not see a mountain so lots of places to play. You can shoot on blm land. Idaho is full of open wilderness and sparsely populated.
There is also tons of desert areas to play with the jeep and shoot.
yeah that's what I thought. I figured I'd better check here though aand make sure before we spend a lot of $$ flying out there and what not

If anyone has suggestions on specific areas to look at or to avoid let me know!

We lived in NY for 5 years so we're no strangers to winter although less snow the better... I realize there is a trade off with wanting to live in an environment like that and dealing with winter.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie

what part of ID are you in? did you just take that pic this month?
No that was in january I think..
This was the pile I plowed up in my driveway
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_121936.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	468993  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

yeah that's what I thought. I figured I'd better check here though aand make sure before we spend a lot of $$ flying out there and what not

If anyone has suggestions on specific areas to look at or to avoid let me know!

We lived in NY for 5 years so we're no strangers to winter although less snow the better... I realize there is a trade off with wanting to live in an environment like that and dealing with winter.
This was actually an odd winter for this part of idaho, not usually this much snow. Depends on what you are looking for as far as work and what ya wanna do outdoors. You can drive for hours and hours on trails in any of the mountain ranges here. Great hunting and fishing everywhere
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

This was actually an odd winter for this part of idaho, not usually this much snow. Depends on what you are looking for as far as work and what ya wanna do outdoors. You can drive for hours and hours on trails in any of the mountain ranges here. Great hunting and fishing everywhere
My wife and I will both be working from home so all we'll need is a good internet connection. Outdoors would be looking for hiking trails near by, off roading of course target shooting and hunting bow and rifle

We like forested / mountain areas that's why we were looking at NID more
Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

That's all of idaho. Northern is definetly more beautiful than it is here, much harsher winter. If ya got the money look at Sun valley/ ketchum area. But anywhere your less than an hour from somewhere to shoot or hike or fish or trail ride

Quick Reply: questions about Idaho