Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Scratch 1 JEEP Rubicon... She is a total...

Old 05-08-2017, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: 2nd star to the right, and straight on 'til morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch 1 JEEP Rubicon... She is a total...

Need some advice.

My son was T-boned yesterday and my 2012 JKU Rubicon has been totaled.
Everyone involved is OK thank god.
It appears that the other driver is insured, at least he had proof today.
I was at the scene 5 minutes after the accident, local sheriffs responded, everything appears to be documented and official.

It was the other drivers fault, pretty clearly, he was at a stop sign and ran into my son who was going through an intersection. Witnesses gave a report to the responding officers, he was ticketed with failure to yield.
Soo, I assume my insurance will be dealing with his insurance.

great… I trust insurance companies…

The rig rolled 3-1/2 times.
It’s a mess.

Anyone have experience dealing with insurance in a case like this?

My JKU has a lot of expensive aftermarket performance parts installed,
Some installed by me, some by local shops.

I’m not really interested in taking the time to re install everything,
The weather is getting good and I want a rig ready to go asap.

Am I gonna have trouble getting reimbursed for the parts and labor?

Also, I think I will change some stuff on the build.
So how do I go about getting fair compensation for my goodies while changing the model of the base rig and the parts different manufactures?

I had a AEV 4.5 dual sport, I think I want to go to a long arm system. (not sure which one)
I had a rubicon with sleeved/gusseted front with dyna trac ball joints, synergy tie rods and tere flex track bars.
Thinking about getting a standard sport JKU and putting aftermarket 60's, 40" tires, ARB lockers and bead locks.

Stuff like that.

I just am not sure how its gonna go getting paid for the bloody knuckles and all the aftermarjket stuff on my jeep.

Anyone have experience and suggestions?
Good local (Puget sound region) shops to talk to about the installation?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Man, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully your boy is ok, rolling 3 times must have been a ride. As for insurance, You will most likely have a fight on your hands. Getting value for aftermarket parts and labor is hard to prove. My recommendation would be to get their appraisal back and if you don't like their offer, ask them if you can have your own appraisal done and see if they'll honor it. I had to do this with a car of mine that was stolen, stripped and considered totalled once they found it. The original insurance payback was only $7500, I fought with them forever then finally my personal agent suggested to get an outside appraisal done and the insurance company would then have to honor the outside appraisal. I ended up getting over $12,000 for it. The outside appraiser was able to estimate the cars value pre strip/accident, he asked for receipts of upgrades, and also researched the market to find replacement value vs just a stock vehicle. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, you are right.

They are telling me they wont pay for the additional parts.
I am pretty frustrated, on Sunday morning I had a nearly perfect rig, through no fault of mine on Sunday afternoon I had a very expensive boat anchor.

I am gonna fight back.

What a drag, insurance is such a goddamned scam.

I expected this, but it is still frustrating.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State Farm as long as you have pictures and or recipes they will cover after market parts
Old 05-08-2017, 06:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

do you have access to the jeep to start pulling stuff off?
Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
do you have access to the jeep to start pulling stuff off?
The tow impound will not allow me to use any tools to remove anything.
Its just round 1, but I do not plan on removing anything unless I get paid.

The wreck was not our fault, I could ask for a rental car, I plan on demanding compensation for my hardware.

Round 2 tomorrow.

I'll get Lazlo involved if I have too. (I had lunch with him today)
Old 05-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NoQuarter#121
The tow impound will not allow me to use any tools to remove anything.
Its just round 1, but I do not plan on removing anything unless I get paid.

The wreck was not our fault, I could ask for a rental car, I plan on demanding compensation for my hardware.

Round 2 tomorrow.

I'll get Lazlo involved if I have too. (I had lunch with him today)

Sucks to hear about your rough Sunday. Glad everyone is ok.

I would suggest getting all your receipts together and see if you can buy the Jeep back from them and determine what is salvageable.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad your son is OK. I hope he still took a ride in an ambulance to get checked out at the Emergency Room.

I work in the auto insurance industry, as does my better half.

I am the LAST person that would normally say this, but you're going to need to hire an attorney. The insurance company, unless pushed, will not likely budge on this. A ride in an ambo to the ER helps, believe it or not. You MAY have to file a lawsuit against the other driver.

Start putting together a list of stuff you had put on the Jeep, receipts will help but are not completely necessary. Pictures are a must. Even a screen grab of a Facebook post showing off the latest mod. You're not likely to get this resolved for many, many months.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Glad your son is OK. I hope he still took a ride in an ambulance to get checked out at the Emergency Room.

I work in the auto insurance industry, as does my better half.

I am the LAST person that would normally say this, but you're going to need to hire an attorney. The insurance company, unless pushed, will not likely budge on this. A ride in an ambo to the ER helps, believe it or not. You MAY have to file a lawsuit against the other driver.

Start putting together a list of stuff you had put on the Jeep, receipts will help but are not completely necessary. Pictures are a must. Even a screen grab of a Facebook post showing off the latest mod. You're not likely to get this resolved for many, many months.
Thanks,

I have started a file and a list trying to identify all the bolt on stuff.
I keep adding to it...
Stuff like Factor 55 fairlead... or KC light brackets... Its gonna be hard to not miss something.

The insurance assclowns have pissed me off.

Yesterday, I spoke with the other drivers adjuster. GEICO.
She wanted to interview my son.
I smelled a rat, when I pressed her regarding why, it was clear they wanted to get him to say something that compromises our case..
So I started interrogating her.
She stated that they have a witness with an alternative version of the events, placing blame on my son.
Uh, I denied her the right to speak with my son.
And further, I stated that all further correspondence shall be in writing, through my attorneys office.
Gave her the contact info for him.

I was willing to give them an opportunity to do the right thing.

I wonder how it would work if I was less affluent.
I bet a lot of folks get ****ed because they are not in a financial position to afford the ability to fight.
I have several vehicles, so the loss of the use of the JEEP is a non issue, although my son really likes driving it.
I have room to store it, etc.
I really feel for people who NEED their vehicle.
man, that would be a serious stress riser.

It may take a while, but its inevitable we will win.
The other driver was ticketed for failure to yield.
There was a witness that gave testimony to the deputy stating that the other driver was clearly at fault.
The Deputy told me it was clear to them my son was not at fault.

Even better, the country store has a very clear surveillance video showing the other vehicles actions and the impact.
I have coffee every morning with the owner, we are friends.
I now have a hard copy of the pertinent footage and a copy on my phone.
It shows the entire accident.
No questions about whos' fault or what happened.
I hope we get to court.
That would be fun.

I wish I knew how to upload the pictures, the jeep looks like a crushed beer can.

I went and paid the impound fees and now have the JEEP in the corner of my shop awaiting the next step.

Should be interesting....

Round 3 next!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

That is the oldest line in the book...we have a witness who has an alternative story. That witness should have talked to the investigating officer. My guess is and like el rushbo I am never wrong...there is no independent witness, least not that was on scene that day. My guess is the witness is the other driver.

Quick Reply: Scratch 1 JEEP Rubicon... She is a total...