Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Any mountain bikers?

Old 12-17-2007, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any mountain bikers?

Does anyone ride a mountain bike?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kntr
Does anyone ride a mountain bike?
Yup. Quite a bit actually. My wife was a little relieved when my attention shifted from bikes to my Jeep for a little while. Believe it or not, my Jeep habit is much less expensive.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Been riding mountain since about `94. Haven`t ridden much lately, but I need to cuz I don`t like my jeep having to haul anymore fat ass than it needs to.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Junkie

Post some pics of those bikes.

This is the bike I ride now. 2008 Intense Socom

Wifes bike is a 2005 Specialized Big Hit.

My 2006 Foes Fly that I just sold.

My 2003 Foes Fly from awhile back.

My first real mountain bike was a 2000 Specialized Big Hit.

Pics of me riding in Canada.

Local riding

Whistler Canada

Last edited by kntr; 12-18-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have a Cannondale- but I sold it because it was out dated.
(More street worthy than trail worthy)

My spouse has a Rocky Mountain Switch that I have fun on from time to time- ...but I would rather do the trails on foot- I prefer running over trail riding

Old 12-18-2007, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Grew up racing road in Colorado. Switched to Mountain to race on the Fort Lewis College Mountain bike team in Durango Colorado, they win collegiate nationals almost every year. I raced on the non traveling team for one year, left for two years, planned on returning and racing on their traveling team, never did. Now I just ride for fun. Bought a house across the street from trailhead so now I have no excuses. Mountain biking is the reason I have always gravitated to jeeps. They are kind of the same breed, cut from the same cloth.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

sweet pictures, I'd kill myself if I tried that. I'm getting fat and out of shape.

the wife and I ride together. If we are not riding mountain bikes. we're walking the dogs.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll have to dig around for pics of my current rides, but the list is...

2007 Kona Coilair Supreme
2002 Surly 1x1 singlespeed (my baby, I've had several 100+ mile days on it)
2005 Surly Pacer road bike W/1992 8speed Dura ace
Mid 90's Fat Chance Wicked Lite built as a single speed townie
Mid 90's Bontrager Race Lite Frame (wall art for now)

I just sold quite a few bikes as our apartment is small and they were accumulating too quickly. I agree with Fishit, I think bikes and Jeeps complement each other very well. A lot of the trails I used to ride in the last place I lived were 4x4 access only.

Fishit... I used to race against you guys! I went to Mesa State up in Grand Junction. Only raced on the team for a year, and we were a club sport. The only race I traveled to that year was the Road Apple/Durango race. I'm still pissed about what happened to me in the slalom!

Kntr.... That looks like quite the build on your Socom. What do you think about the strokers? I haven't ridden them yet, as I'm a Shimano fan for brakes, but I've built a few bikes with them on. They felt great out of the box.

I realized that I didn't mention above, I manage a bike shop in Park City. Nice place here, but I miss the riding in the desert.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

I do some riding, not as much as I did 10 years or so ago. Still enjoy it though. I have an old GT LTS3000 with lots of upgrades. It's heavy as hell, but pretty rugged. I wish there were some betterplaces to ride around here, btu I'm stuck in flatland Illinois. THere are a couple of nice trail areas nearby, but nothing like what the above pics show. ANyone ever catch that show Drop In on cable? Those guys are insane!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

I love the Hayes Strokers. You can adjust them so easily and they modulate a lot better than the old Mags.

I just put the I9 wheels on the Socom last week. They are super light and strong. The bike weighs 38 lbs with the I9s and lighter DH tires. It weighs 41lbs with the heavy DH wheels and heavy DH tires.

Biking has kept me from getting fat. Out of high school I gained 50 lbs. When I started mountain biking in college I lost all 50 lbs in 60 days!! Now I ride to stay in shape and in the off season I work out to stay in shape for bike season. Id be a fat mofo without biking.

I bought a flat bar road bike last year and did a lot of road riding until the snow melted. Its Kona Deluxe Dew. Its cheap but it has held up to some rough gravel roads and a lot of road riding.

Quick Reply: Any mountain bikers?