Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Bike inside JKU

Old 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike inside JKU

Anyone come up with a way to put their bike in the back of a JKU without front tire removal and without laying it on its side. I was thinking of an upright bike mount or some other way of securing the bike in a stand up position.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotten 2 bmx bikes in with half the back seat down and laid them upside down. But I assume your talking about a mountain bike?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

Have you measured the height of the bike and the amount of upright room in the JKU? I'm sure it can be done, especially if you flip them upside down, but then they'd fall over mid-drive.

I have fit a few MTN bikes on top of eachother in my back area. Taking the front tire off makes it much easier.

I recently got a Yakima 4-Bike hitch rack for $75 on CL that I'm using now. Much easier.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Without the top on and with one of the back seats folded down, I was able to put my mountain bike in the jeep without taking the wheels off. I did have to take the saddle off and there was nowhere for my kids to sit.

Going to buy a hitch rack.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I've tossed around various ideas for topless and all-weather bike hauling.
I have a large collection of racks that I've tried, plus pieces and parts of racks, including fork mounts. (fork mount on spare swing-away, rear tire in cargo area)
I keep coming back to an idea for a rack that attaches the spare swing-away on my LōD bumper. (structure over/around the tire, not interfering with spare access)

Too much frustration with a hitch-mount blocking access to my rear gate.
Too much worry about an idiot driving or walking into a platform (under support of bike wheel) rack that is below spare swing.

Far more often than not, I have a bike rack on the Jeep.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default Use some rope

I carry two bikes often in my JKU. I take the front wheel off my road bike, leave the front wheel on my daughters smaller road bike. I keep a two foot length of rope tied to each side of the roll bar, use it to snug each bike upright.

Naturally I put the rear seats down.

Costs nothing, keeps bikes out of the weather and danger of damage.

Don't know how you'd do it with 2 passengers, though.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

I have put my mountain bike in the back for years. Putting the back wheel in first fits snug.. Plenty of room for a cooler behind the drivers seat too
Now have the gobi rack and will be putting them on top!!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided I didn't want to pull the front and lay it on its side in my 2-door so I went out and got a rack. Easy on/off for the bike and the rack
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 PM
JK Junkie

Here's how mine travels when it is alone without others:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2668216399.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	490771

I lay rear driver seat down, and back up my bike. Fits perfectly. Granted, i'm short, so my seat is down already. I then strap it to the rear bar, and lock it to the roll cage.

I do the same with me road bike.

And yes, that is the perfect spot for a hammock.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 3 options. One is I took a 2x4 and cut it to fit just inside the rear gate, mounted 2 fork mount mounts to the board and when it's just me and my girlfriend, with the seats down 2 mountain bikes or roadbikes fit nice and secure in the jeep. I also have a yakima 5 hitch rack for when the kids are with us and I also have a yakima 2 bike roof mount as well. I have tried the Thule spare me rack which I really liked because it allowed access to the rear gate. I'm not a fan of the hitch mount. Doesn't allow access to the rear gate.

Quick Reply: Bike inside JKU