Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Cleaning a dSLR... Anyone do it themselves?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning a dSLR... Anyone do it themselves?

Well, since I just got back from the deserts of the Grand Canyon and Zion, my Nikon D40x for sure needs a good cleaning. I even think the sensor needs a cleaning. Has anyone attempted this themselves? A local camera shop will do a full cleaning including the sensor for about $90. Is that a decent price?

Any suggestions, how to's etc... Much appreciated.

BTW, it never ceases to amaze me the various skills all the different members posses. Awesome stuff here...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have only had to use a blower on my sensor. I've had mine for a few years and have been very, very lucky. I've abused it quite a bit through the marshes to the dusty trails.

My local shop has quoted me $15 to clean the sensor. That was a year or so ago so it may be a bit higher. $90 sounds expensive. For the price to clean it vs the price to fix it after I messed it up I figured I'd let someone that knows what they are doing take care of it.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shon
For the price to clean it vs the price to fix it after I messed it up I figured I'd let someone that knows what they are doing take care of it.
Exactly my concerns...lol

Yeah, it was $45 for general camera cleaning and $45 for sensor cleaning. We'll see, I notice dust on the sensor...check out this pic, and notice the blurry dark spots...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1430340...19698/sizes/o/

ugh
Old 06-11-2008, 03:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-Man
...check out this pic, and notice the blurry dark spots ... ugh
I've cleaned one of my cameras. Just went at the sensor and the focusing screen with a brush with an air bulb. However, I did put it off until it was pretty bad. The clone tool in PaintShop Pro came in really handy to fix the images during the meantime. And the dust specks were back within a shoot or two--the more lenses you own, the more you'll be switching, then the more you'll be getting dust into the internals. So, get to know your clone tool.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a kit from Copper Hill Images. It's definatly an art form. I get very nervous trying to clean the sensor on my Canon 30D. I improved it but it's still got some spots at f22 on sky but I can fix that in processing.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Junkie

I've been luck so far, but I'm going to get both my cameras in for a good cleaning as they've been getting really dusty outside on all the trail rides lately. I'll do the general blowing out dust and exterior cleaning, but for sensor and good camera cleaning I'll send them in, that way it's all covered. Same for lenses, I just send them in to be cleaned.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ithink for right now, since it's my first time getting it cleaned, I am going to send it in. First though I am going to give it a good dusting, compressed air blow job :P see if that takes care of my spots...
Old 06-12-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be careful with the canned air. They often have things other than clean air which will make a huge mess of your sensor. I'd stick with the blower brush on the inside and if the outside is a little dirty it just means it's happily used - sort of like scratches on the JK.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z-Man
Ithink for right now, since it's my first time getting it cleaned, I am going to send it in. First though I am going to give it a good dusting, compressed air blow job :P see if that takes care of my spots...
Don't do it. You will just make it worse. Read the manual on cleaning the sensor. You need special cleaning solution and lint free pads to clean the sensor properly. Blowing air will just introduce more dust unless you do it in a special hermetically sealed environment.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

I definitely recommend the Copper Hill method using Eclipse fluid and pec pads. Excellent tutorial with step-by-step instructions here. I've been doing it myself for years since I always have my cameras in some pretty grungy places and I'm pretty tough on my gear. Have taught many other people to clean their own sensor this way - it's really easy once you get the hang of it. Copperhill's sensor sweep brush works really well on dust that isn't "glued on", too, for a dry cleaning.

Quick Reply: Cleaning a dSLR... Anyone do it themselves?