Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Editing GoPro Videos

Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Editing GoPro Videos

I know a bunch of you guys mess around with these. I took some video in OBX with my new Gopro and want to edit it. I've heard you need to convert the GoPro's videos in order to edit them?

What do you guys use?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

I don't understand. I thought the GoPro Hero only recorded in "Video Format: H.264 compression, saved as Windows- & Mac-compatible MPEG4 (.mp4) file" You can edit that using just about any software. I like Premier Pro, for Windows and Kdenlive for Linux. Always edit in the captured format (if your hardware can handle it) and export it how ever you need it. If it is AVCHD or something you may want to batch convert it to some other loss less encoding before you edit if you have slower hardware. But this is not going to be the case with the Hero.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigtimeb
I don't understand. I thought the GoPro Hero only recorded in "Video Format: H.264 compression, saved as Windows- & Mac-compatible MPEG4 (.mp4) file" You can edit that using just about any software. I like Premier Pro, for Windows and Kdenlive for Linux. Always edit in the captured format (if your hardware can handle it) and export it how ever you need it. If it is AVCHD or something you may want to batch convert it to some other loss less encoding before you edit if you have slower hardware. But this is not going to be the case with the Hero.
You know what I was doing? I was looking at old threads on the subject. The compatability issue with Windows Live Movie Maker has since been fixed. Sorry for the confusion

Quick Reply: Editing GoPro Videos