Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

GoPro Alternatives?

Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GoPro Alternatives?

Any recommendations on GoPro alternatives? I've been looking at recording our adventures, but with our first baby on the way, its hard to justify spending the kind of money on a toy. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Baby on the way congrats, what better reason to get and justify that toy for the new
arrival. The baby would love that GoPro and you will too....
Old 08-14-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlgoDan
Baby on the way congrats, what better reason to get and justify that toy for the new
arrival. The baby would love that GoPro and you will too....
lol, i would agree X2
Old 08-14-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

lol, yea just think of the possibilities...strap it to your wifes leg during the child birth...then strap it to the little guys head when he starts crawling around
Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I understand have a baby on the way and not having funds. I looked at a number of other cameras before I decided to get the GoPro. There are cheaper cameras and better cameras, but the the GoPro is in a class of its own with quality for price. The Contour HD is the closest competitor, You can find thier cameras for less, but by the time you get the waterproof case and mounts you will be over the cost of the GoPro HD.

Here are a couple of videos I have made since I bought mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6sG1sWqmGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbR9vdJwig4

Also, GoPro has a daily giveaway. I enter it everyday in hopes of getting another one.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

I too have a little one. 4 months old. I felt the same way, a lot of cash for a toy. I also bought a LCD screen for the GoPro and use it for filming the Kiddo all the time. I love that it fits in my pocket and if I drop it while filming him its no big deal. I would be all POed if I dropped my Sony in the dirt. I tend to use to Gopro more then the Sony since it is easy to carry and bullet proof. If you have ever owned a fix focal length lens, you will get the hang of positioning yourself quickly. Camera shack is an issue since it weighs nothing, but its better to shoot something then nothing at all. You can get a 960 for $179. its only 960p, but cheaper.

Quick Reply: GoPro Alternatives?