Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Got a new digital camera...

Old 02-28-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Got a new digital camera...

Not SLR, but this is an awesome camera! Canon Powershot S5 IS.
12x optical zoom, 8 megapixels.
A ton of features... Like shooting a pretty good quality video and taking high quality stills at the same time.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15207

$400 camera at any electronics store, for $305 at us1photo.com
Ordered it tuesday night, got it this morning...

Full-featured, compact 8.0 Megapixel digital camera with a 12x Optical Zoom
Canon Optical Image Stabilizer Technology and ISO 1600 for steady shooting
DIGIC III Image Processor with improved Face Detection Technology and Red-eye Correction for even better image quality and functionality
High-resolution 2.5-inch vari-angle LCD for easy shooting at any angle
Hot shoe adapter for the Speedlite EX Series external flashes
Shoot easy movies with movies capable of 30 fps VGA or 60 fps QVGA. Also a convenient to use Movie Button, never having to switch to a shooting mode
Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with select PIXMA Photo Printers, CP and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers
View Sample Images
Old 02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

That looks really nice for a as little as I know about cameras anymore. I was into cameras years ago when film was the medium of choice, and haven't paid a bit of attention to them since digi cameras took over. My camera now is a beat to crap point and shoot 3.1 mp cannon thing. It works for taking pics of my Jeep and pics of things to sell on e-bay.

Now that you have a new camera... Let's see some pics of the Jeep wheelin!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the camera. My wife is pushing me to buy a new camera so she can have mine. Right now we have one of the Powershots. The A95 if my memory serves me. Anyway, she wants to use that for snap shots and we want to get an SLR for more imporant pictures.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow..at that price I would have gone with a DSLR, or even a Gseries. I've never used the S series admittedly. So far so good?

I have a Canon SD1000 for PnS, G2 for random stuff, and a DR XT for SLR fun...I love Canon!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

That's a pretty sweet camera, Lab! Take good care of that joint and put up some Jeep shots when you get the opportunity.

Russ D.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I got the same camera this past Summer. I like it a lot. I think you will enjoy it. Show us lots of pictures!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrt
Congratulations on the camera. My wife is pushing me to buy a new camera so she can have mine. Right now we have one of the Powershots. The A95 if my memory serves me. Anyway, she wants to use that for snap shots and we want to get an SLR for more imporant pictures.
Being a very avid amateur photographer, I own a number of cameras, film and digital P&Ss and SLRs. One of my favorites, though, is a Canon A95. I got it because I do some paddling and underwater work, and Canon makes a relatively inexpensive underwater housing for it. But, it's a very lightweight camera, so it's also the one I usually chose to take when on overnight backpacking trips.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Being a very avid amateur photographer, I own a number of cameras, film and digital P&Ss and SLRs. One of my favorites, though, is a Canon A95. I got it because I do some paddling and underwater work, and Canon makes a relatively inexpensive underwater housing for it. But, it's a very lightweight camera, so it's also the one I usually chose to take when on overnight backpacking trips.
I have that case and it works great. We got it so that we could take pictures while snorkeling in Hawaii.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

I'm an owner as well. Still trying to figure out how to use it. however, the first picture I took with it was entered into a couple contests. Didn't win, but was really happy with how it came out. Its made a good framed picture for the wall. Enjoy it!
Old 02-29-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Labrador
Not SLR, but this is an awesome camera! Canon Powershot S5 IS.
12x optical zoom, 8 megapixels.
A ton of features... Like shooting a pretty good quality video and taking high quality stills at the same time.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15207

$400 camera at any electronics store, for $305 at us1photo.com
Ordered it tuesday night, got it this morning...

Full-featured, compact 8.0 Megapixel digital camera with a 12x Optical Zoom
Canon Optical Image Stabilizer Technology and ISO 1600 for steady shooting
DIGIC III Image Processor with improved Face Detection Technology and Red-eye Correction for even better image quality and functionality
High-resolution 2.5-inch vari-angle LCD for easy shooting at any angle
Hot shoe adapter for the Speedlite EX Series external flashes
Shoot easy movies with movies capable of 30 fps VGA or 60 fps QVGA. Also a convenient to use Movie Button, never having to switch to a shooting mode
Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with select PIXMA Photo Printers, CP and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers
View Sample Images
How funny I bought a canon S3 IS Today
The lady at the cam shop said it's pretty much the same but last years model. I only paied 220.00 I love it I've had it about 5 hours and already took over 300 pic's LOL

Let me know what you think of it after you've had it a few months. I might Buy the hubby an S5 for his
Birthday!

here's a pic I took with it a few min ago of Hubby showing off in my Jeep In the Yard

Last edited by rebeljennie; 02-29-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Got a new digital camera...