Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

I love winter

Old 02-13-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love winter

A few pics from this winter...

(click on pic to view slideshow)

Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Don't get me wrong.........winters in Alaska can be brutal and long, and when spring comes I'm always more than ready for it. But I always try to explain to people that in winter, especially when it gets down around -20 plus, there is a beauty that is beyond compare. So still, quiet and pure. The times I have sat and watched the Northern Lights for hours, seen the breath of a moose freeze and crystallize to his nose, or just sat and looked out the window when the air itself looked like it was filled with tiny little diamonds. It's hard for people to understand unless you seen it for yourself.....
Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I hear ya.
People think I'm nuts when I tell them I like it better at 5° below than 25° above.

Give me the crunch of snow underfoot anyday over the slop of mud or a mosquito buzzing in my ear.

Then again, that sloppy mud is better wheeling weather.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. What you described would be an experience to remember for a life time.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Happy for you if you can apreciate this season.

But IMHO Winter sucks
Old 02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
I hear ya.
People think I'm nuts when I tell them I like it better at 5° below than 25° above.

Give me the crunch of snow underfoot anyday over the slop of mud or a mosquito buzzing in my ear.

Then again, that sloppy mud is better wheeling weather.
Yeah........it's funny because when winter is coming around I'm usually damn ready for it to freeze and kill the bugs. And when spring is on it's way, like I said before, I'm ready for some sun on my face. Though as I've gotten older I can really see how people become snowbirds. Yes the crunch under your feet is a great. I can still remember once it was -30 and still as a stone. I could hear the crunching of the snow under a moose's hooves and I swear he must have been a quarter mile away. Not to mention listening out the window at the wolves howling at the moon that were at least 5 miles away. It's a beautiful thing....
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

I'd like to Punch winter in the face
Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I am jealous of the cold snowy winters you get up there. We do not get many days below freezing in the PNW, which sucks. Most of the folks around here complain when the temps get below freezing and the snow starts falling but not me, I can't get enough of it.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by IMFletch
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I am jealous of the cold snowy winters you get up there. We do not get many days below freezing in the PNW, which sucks. Most of the folks around here complain when the temps get below freezing and the snow starts falling but not me, I can't get enough of it.
Yeah........when you rarely get snow, when you do it's like a little gift from the heavens. It's when you get too much snow that it gets to be too much work. At least for an old fart like me anyway...........lol
Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IMFletch
Whoda thunk the IOC would have chosen Vancouver, with an average February temperature of 44° F, for the winter olympics?
WTF were they thinking?

I'm sure there are plenty of AGW cultists on the IOC. Maybe they were trying to publicize the mud and rain as global warming "evidence?"

Quick Reply: I love winter