Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

JK in vehicle camera mount ideas?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK in vehicle camera mount ideas?

Well, this is gonna be the right place i guess (not sure it would fit in the "Modified" section )

My question is: Anybody has a good (and possibly CHEAP) solution for mounting a small camcorder inside the JK looking through the windshield so it tapes the ride?

I am usually around with a passenger but can't ask her to hold the cam steady when wheeling.

I thought about RAM Mount but besides being a bit expensive I can't find a good place to bolt it on. Anybody knows a GOOD suction mount?

Next:
Being tired of the a..h...s cutting my way and barely avoiding a very bad encounter a couple of days ago I want also to mount my Oregon Scientific Action Cam on the dash. Any ideas?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive thought about this, and if you buy the ram mount with a U bracket, you might be able to clamp it onto the "oh shit" bar on the passenger side. Ive also seen people that have taken a piece of sheet metal, drilled two holes in it that match up with the head rest. Place the sheet of metal inbetween the seat and the headrest. The sheet of metal is extended on one side (so one end is more in the middle of the two seats) and screw in the camcorder there.

I know its hard to explain it but yeah.... i try, and in the end thats all that counts.

Chuck:wave
Old 05-31-2008, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thought about these, but there are 2 problems:

Oh-Shit Bar: Airbag underneath!
Head rest (tested) : The seats are not very solid, so ass soon as passenger moves a little bit picture gets shaky, without a passenger it's unusable due to vibrations
Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Voodoo
Well, this is gonna be the right place i guess (not sure it would fit in the "Modified" section )

My question is: Anybody has a good (and possibly CHEAP) solution for mounting a small camcorder inside the JK looking through the windshield so it tapes the ride?

I am usually around with a passenger but can't ask her to hold the cam steady when wheeling.

I thought about RAM Mount but besides being a bit expensive I can't find a good place to bolt it on. Anybody knows a GOOD suction mount?

Next:
Being tired of the a..h...s cutting my way and barely avoiding a very bad encounter a couple of days ago I want also to mount my Oregon Scientific Action Cam on the dash. Any ideas?

I am trying to work out a mount that attachesto the rollbar between the passenger and driver side seats. It will be out of the way and solid. Will post pics if I get it worked out.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Next:

http://www.stickypod.com/police_camera_mount.html

use what they use...
Old 05-31-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
Nice find! Those are nice but like all good things, not cheap.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those suction cups look a bit weak for trail use imho., moreover the three bottom ones are pretty much useless on most dashes.

Last edited by Voodoo; 11-05-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Those suction cups look a bit weak for trail use imho., moreover the three bottom ones are pretty much useless on most dashes.

This is what I ordered now after fumbling around with sticks and bungees:

info at www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/info_35.html

That is a nice camera mount and it wont tie up dash space like the sticky pod mount. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's VERY sturdy. the cam is like bolted to the Jeep with this one...
Here is a small video clip taken with this mount, some harder trail use will show up as soon as I have time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LxUZSf5x8
Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Junkie

man think that thing well stay mounted on the side of the jeep through rough terrain? would hate for it to un-suction and get all smashed up on the trail or something.

Quick Reply: JK in vehicle camera mount ideas?