Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

lens suggestions?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lens suggestions?

im getting a new nikon soon, and to be honest. i'm completly new on this. any suggestions? so far the two lenses i really like are the 18-200mm nikon and the 35mm f1.8. maybe not together. but to be honest im not exactly sure what to get. and combination and what not. I'd like to try a little of everything.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

When considering lenses for your DSLR camera, you have to ask yourself, what will I be photographing the most? Will it be close up, landscape or wildlife? The most widely used lens today is in the 70-200mm range. When I'm photographing in Alaska, I always carry a 70-200mm 2.8 lens along with a 16-35mm 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and a 100-400mm. Plus I use a 1.4 converter. You'll notice I use mostly 2.8 lenses. The reason is because they're fast and work great in low light condition. The downside of course is weight and cost. The bottom line is this, lenses are a big investment and one should spend as much as a budget will allow. Lenses are like a good set of golf clubs that should last you forever. Once again, you have to ask yourself, what will I be using my camera for and how much am I willing to spend. Good luck with your new camera and your quest for the right lens.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much are you planning on spending? It is rather difficult to make recommendations without a limit.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasc
... 24-70 2.8...
I debated over this one and really liked the f/2.8, but in the end opted for the 24-105 f/4 because it has image stabilization and that much longer focal length range. What an exquisite lens. I just wish it had been f/2.8.

OP: These are Canon lenses, so won't fit your camera. My thoughts on lenses are go ahead since you're new at this game and get some inexpensive lenses--couple hundred dollars at most apiece. The glass like Dallasc and I are discussing is more in the thousand or two range. Well worth it--it doesn't take a pro with a magnifying glass to see the difference in image quality--but something you should not commit to unless you happen to be filthy rich. You need a good walk-around lens--something you carry on the camera when you want to have immediate access to it. I have a friend who uses the 18-200 and really likes it. He took it to Moab when we drove White Rim Trail. A super-wide-angle is also a good choice to capture those really big landscapes. I use a 10-22 mm, and also have a 17-44 mm. It is incredible what the 10-mm can capture on a 1.6X sensor camera (the sensor is not full size, meaning that lens works like a 16-mm lens on a full-size sensor camera). Sometimes you just need to gulp in the beauty ...

Quick Reply: lens suggestions?