Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Nikon vs Canon

Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nikon vs Canon

I'm in the market for a new SLR Digital Camera and I'm not sure what brand?

My 35mm is a Nikon, but I'm a directbuy customer and I can get a better price on a Canon. They don't carry Nikon

And I was checking out the new Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi

David
Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Do you already have a Nikon/Nikkor lens collection? If so, I'd say stick with Nikon. I own an old Nikon F, as well as a bunch of Nikkor Lenses, and they're top quality (if dated). Recently, I got into Canon because my camera failed me during a trip and the first town with a Wal-Mart after three days had only a Canon Rebel (non-digital). I ended up with a good collection of Canon lenses, as well. So, now I own two Canon digital cameras (old digital Rebel and an EOS 30D). I love them.

But, if you shoot much indoors I'd recommend against the Canons. I don't know what's up at the Canon engineering facility, but I've used my two extensively, as well as an EOS 20D, and they all suffer from poor exposure settings when indoors. Search on problems with Canon digital cameras flash exposure and you'll find a whole host of people either complaining, or saying that those of us complaining don't know what we're doing. Pictures come out dark and underexposed, sometimes, and shoot the same exact picture, with manual settings, and get a properly exposed or even over-exposed picture the next time. It's the height of frustration, and has caused me to revert to my Canon A95 P&S for much indoor work. BTW: I've also tried three different flashes--220, 420 and 430.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My preference would be the canon route. Either one is going to do the job, it really is more about the photographer than the equipment..

Although the rebel is a great entry level SLR, I would pay a few extra bucks and get the 40D. Or, you could buy my 20D(still better than the rebel), and I will go get the 40D.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

I shoot a Rebel XT and my son shoots a 20D Canon. Both are very nice, the 20D has a bigger LCD panel but both are quite capable. Neither of us has had any indoor exposure problems. He used a Sigma flash and I use a Canon 420EX on mine. I think the lens you put on the camera will have more impact on your opinion more so than what brand you are shooting. If you have Nikon lenses, I would look into whether they will work on the digital body you are considering. If they do, you have a ready made stock of lenses and Nikon makes some excellent glass.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidJP
I'm in the market for a new SLR Digital Camera and I'm not sure what brand?

My 35mm is a Nikon, but I'm a directbuy customer and I can get a better price on a Canon. They don't carry Nikon

And I was checking out the new Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi

David
Man, that's kinda like asking Ford vs. Chevy. You are going to find a lot of stubborn loyalists.

Either brand is going to give you great results or crappy results based on your photographic abilities. I own all Canon personally, but I know lots of folks that own all Nikon. And among pros you'll see lots of both in action. Nikon was king in the pro photography world for a long time. Many would say that they still are. Canon in more recent years has gained a lot of ground on them.

If you have lenses already that will work with a Nikon digital SLR there may be an advantage to going the Nikon route. Good lenses are not cheap. But, if the lenses are not a factor you really can't go wrong in either direction.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Canon.

Ease of operation with menus.
also look at the olympics 85% of the photographers use Canon.

i Use the 1DSMK2
Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spencenaz
Man, that's kinda like asking Ford vs. Chevy. You are going to find a lot of stubborn loyalists.

Either brand is going to give you great results or crappy results based on your photographic abilities.

I second this and will add you should pick lenses you like before you make the camera decision. I use Canon because I really like their 400 5.6L lens. Fantastic for photographing birds in the field. Very sharp, lightweight and extremely fast to focus. Nikon has excellent lenses also. Figure out what you want to photograph, select the best lenses to do it in your price range and pick a camera. A great lens is the Canon 70-200 F4. Yes, there are better lenses out there but for the money it can't be beat. Any of you Nikon folks know of a similar Nikkor lens?

I personally wouldn't even bother with the best camera out there if it had a crappy lens on the front of it. The camera only records what goes through the lens, nothing more. A fuzzy lens will give a fuzzy image no matter how expensive the camera is.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

As a side note most Nikon lenses will not work with the latest Nikon digital cameras.

you lose metering
you lose auto focus
you lose a lot of what the latest AF lenses can do.
an old lens on a new body is a waste of time unless you have time ie: the studio and light meters

from my experience Nikon for the studio
Canon for the field.

Enjoy your purchase
Old 08-15-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

I recently purchased a Nikon D60. I really like it and it takes much better pics than I can. It is quite easy to use and operate. Here are some pics (Palo Duro Canyon) I took with it on our first outing with it. All these were taken with a 18-55 mm Nikkor lens. I just got a Nikkor 55-200mm lens, but haven't taken out to do much with it. I can't comment on the Canon, but from everything I have seen, read, and heard it is top of the line and maybe edges out the Nikon by a little.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Lense

And I thought picking an SLR Camera was hard...

What about the lens? You can spend major bucks on this part, that leaves less money for the JK

I was think of a Macro lens and an affordable telephoto.

David

Quick Reply: Nikon vs Canon