Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Nikon vs Canon

Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for some descent glass for a camera, I would recommend checking into Sigma Lenses. I bought my wife 3 of there lenses and she has had no problems from them at all. They make lenses for both Canon and Nikon, you might want to check them out.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

I love Nikon. Had a D70, now a D300. Check out dpreview.com

Both brands are good. Look at similar cameras in same price range and decide on which one feels better in your hands, quality, ergonomics, etc. My personal opinion is that Nikon build a more durable camera.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Here is another excellent resource for digital camera info and test reviews.

steves-digicams.com

Just stick a www. in the front.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:30 PM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

I just got a Canon XSi for my anniversary, last weekend, and haven't used it a whole lot, but have been very satisfied with it so far. I only have used it this past weekend. The pictures I took with it inside came out nice enough for me.

I had a 35 mm Canon SLR with 70-300mm lens already that was too pricey to get rid of. That is why I stuck with Canon and was very satisfied with it. Outdoors I personally thought the 35 mm took better pictures than the P&S digital camera, also a Canon 8 megapixels, on the automatic shoot.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I was a photographer for years for most major magazines and national news services. While both will certianly do the job, Canon has dominated and led in autofocus glass since the late 80s.

www.stevecrainphotography.com you can see Canon quality. You can't go wrong with the Digital Rebels. Happy shooting.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I shoot canon xti had several lenses that work perfectly. I like the eas of use and the many different settings. Though I did have to buy the dvd to see how to use alot of it.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Talk about your debate! If you are truly not a one or the other person and willing to shop around, then go to a store, handle both, compare prices of lenses and features, then make a decision. Most people will find thay are more comfortable with one over another. Also make sure you can return it if you find once you are using it in actual situations that you don't like it. Also buy to just above your ability/skill. What I mean by that is if you are an expierienced amatueur, don't get the D80, spend some more for a D300, you'll like the added features and control better.

Also, someone stated that you can't use old Nikon lenses on the Digitals. I'll have to disagree with that, though you may loose some funtionality depending on the age of the lens, all F mount lenses will fit and can be used in manual mode at the least, so lenses going back to the 60's will still work. I personally use a 300mm that came out in '94 and it works perfectly with both my bodies. Try using a lens from a Canon that is from 10-15 years or older and it will not even attach as they have changed mounts. Not saying this is bad, but let's present both sides please.

I learned to shoot on a Canon AE1 and used that for about 12 years. I now shoot with Nikon (D200 & D70s, soon to get a D300 or D700) as I personally prefer the layout and ease of use better than the Canons. That's my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Well my parents own a Newspaper and they prefer Nikon's but Lenses are expensive.....
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ewok
Well my parents own a Newspaper and they prefer Nikon's but Lenses are expensive.....
Quality lenses for any brand are expensive. I only buy lenses with F2.8 or faster now so just about any new lense I'm looking at is over $1000. That goes true for all brands unfortunately, but I have found you do get what you pay for.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Either brand is a good choice and will produce good results in capable hands. I shoot Nikon not because one brand is better than the other but because I have a number of lenses all in a Nikon mount. IMO theNikon D40 is the best DSLR value out there today.

Quick Reply: Nikon vs Canon