Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Video editing. What do you use?

Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video editing. What do you use?

Just got a new HD Handycam and went out to the re-opening of an off road park in the area. Got some decent video, but the clips are short. What editing software are you youosing? I'd especially hear from Wayoflifette, your videos are amazing.

What are some good free ones, and cheap ones too?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

My vote is for Final Cut... not exactly cheap, but Final Cut express is a more affordable version. If you're running a MAC... of course if you have a MAC iMovie would be just fine, but don't expect results like Wayoflifette's videos with iMovie... to make something like those you need LOTS of footage, some decent editing skills and a lot of time.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

It depends on the OS you are running and the level of expertise. I have a Mac and I use either iMovie of Final Cut depending upon the level of editing I need...
Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sry. I guess I forgot that. I use windows 7.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

I used Movie Maker and a movie program by Pinnacle (don't recall the name) before I finally switched to a Mac a few years ago. iMovie is my go to app for movie editing. You will probably get a number of recommendations for Final Cut or Final Cut Express. Its a great program and very powerful but it maybe more software than you need. Wayoflifette's MOAB Experience vids are outstanding. She has sick movie editing skilz.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClownPoop
My vote is for Final Cut... not exactly cheap, but Final Cut express is a more affordable version. If you're running a MAC... of course if you have a MAC iMovie would be just fine, but don't expect results like Wayoflifette's videos with iMovie... to make something like those you need LOTS of footage, some decent editing skills and a lot of time.
I saw a reply by Wayalife about the software used in his videos and it's adobe premier. I'm not sure if it is the pro version but i'm guessing that it is. It's not cheap but if you are a student or educator you can get a massive discount on it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default Coral VideoStudio X3

Great editing program that only around 100 ish.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default get a MAC

and use Imovie
Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use Vegas Pro
Old 01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by abock33
Just got a new HD Handycam and went out to the re-opening of an off road park in the area. Got some decent video, but the clips are short. What editing software are you youosing? I'd especially hear from Wayoflifette, your videos are amazing.

What are some good free ones, and cheap ones too?

I read your question and it sounded like you might be like me and may have just recently taken initial steps with an interest in learning about video editing and could be wanting to know where a good place would be to get started.

Using myself as an example, I began by reviewing high-end 'pro' software like Adobe Premier and Avid Media Composer to begin familiarizing myself with program features and the terminology used by software developers. There is a whole new language to learn!

As I have done with so many other new products or technologies at first, I got honest with myself in terms of whether I was, A.) Going for the full-on experience or B.) Whether I'd be better off dabbling for a while to learn more, just to make sure that this is something I might be getting into because '...yes, I'm very interested and want to learn more.' I began to lean in the direction of A.) 'dabbling'.

That said, I thought further....if I was going to learn a new technology and field, I wanted to make sure that my product selection and the community that surrounds it would lead me in the direction of transferable skills development, knowledge that wouldn't be lost if I did graduate up to a more sophisticated and costly program.

Finally, I treated myself to a $99 copy of Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra for 64bit systems which I received about three weeks ago. I had read the reviews at PC Magazine (granting 'Editor's Choice' status) and elsewhere. Some said PowerDirector was buggy but for the price I think it is certainly a good place to get started. When I did my comparisons, I found hat PowerDirector deploys very similar production concept tools that are similar in function as those offered by the more expensive software manufacturers. I was also impressed with the community Cyberlink had built up at their online forum and with the number of additional tools and features that could be downloaded for free which would continually add value, function and utility to my initial purchase.

After several hours playing around with my new 'gizmo' program, I discovered that the many features were fairly easy to understand and learn or intuitive once I overcame my own nervous unfamiliarity coming out of the gate. Soon, I was learning new features at a rapid clip as I abandoned my fear about trying this or that. It wasn't for lack of instruction or tips that I made progress, for I found scores of 'how to' and 'demo' videos online at both Cyberlink and on YouTube.

One thing I really enjoy when starting any new interest or hobby such as off-road vehicles or photography is the discovery of a thriving, inspired and passionate group of other people who are learning and sharing together.

Best Wishes,
HeapTrail

Quick Reply: Video editing. What do you use?