Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Video taping your adventures, what do you use?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video taping your adventures, what do you use?

We are planning a few cross-state trips by christmas, and are about to retire our pre-90's camcorder. Yes, it has lasted this long, unbelievably, but looks awful ...

We have been looking into the mini dvd and hard drive versions, but I am reluctant to believe all the reviews posted on our local electronics store site. And I am definitely not listening to the kids behind the counter.

Any of you guys swear by your particular technology you chose? Any regrets? I am looking at several brands in the sub-$400 level, and was just interested in everyone's experience.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard the hard drive versions aren't as good (picture quality wise) as the mini dv tapes. WOL has the hard drive version though and his videos are nice! Need to have something to dump to if you are traveling for a long period though.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I have heard the hard drive versions aren't as good (picture quality wise) as the mini dv tapes. WOL has the hard drive version though and his videos are nice! Need to have something to dump to if you are traveling for a long period though.

I will have to search for those. You make a great point about dumping. I'll have to take that into consideration.

WOL feel free to chime in if you read this.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

i think bodybrdng knows about that stuff, i think. i just use my did camera. it does 2 min vids but doesn't have enough mem for lots of long vids.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can stretch your budget a little a good one is the Panasonic PV-GS500

If you can stretch it alot ($1000) the Canon HV20 is the way to go.

Both are 3ccd cameras, the canon is HD. Do a google search and read some opinions. These both come highly recommended.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Yup, all the videos we have been doing for Project-JK has been filmed using a Sony DCR-SR62 that we bought from Costco for about $600. It is a HD type and comes with 30GB of storage space. We really love this camera for its low cost, ease of use, compact size, steady shot feature and really high quality picture even at the middle setting. At the highest setting, the quality is outstanding!! The only bummer about this camera is that it doesn't have a mini-jack audio in port and you will need to get a hot shoe type if you want to add a shotgun mic or hand held mic.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Many thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

I use a Sony DCR-DVD108, it uses mini DVDs. I used a tripod quick release foot and mount it on my dash. I took some pics when doing the install. I will post some pics of it soon. Here is a link to my Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/castorjk
Old 05-26-2008, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

love you vids! my girlfriend and i were watching your little girl wheeling here jeep. that was great!!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cj2a11713
love you vids! my girlfriend and i were watching your little girl wheeling here jeep. that was great!!
Thank you
That is the most popular one

Quick Reply: Video taping your adventures, what do you use?