Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Wmsr

Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Wmsr

Went out to the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad last weekend. I think its one of the better old style train rides in the area. There are several with in a 2 hr driving radius. The best in my book that's still close enough to do in 1 day is the Cass Scenic Railroad.

Anyway, the train ride was 3.5 hours long, with a 1.5 hour stop at Frostburg. It starts in Cumberland, MD. It’s a very scenic ride due to the track taking a very winding path up the mountains. Couldn't have picked a better day to ride the train. I know the pictures aren't anything spectacular, but it’s what I got. hope you enjoy!

proof i was there!

a still working turn table. this was at the Frostburg station so they could put the engine in front as we went back towards Cumberland.

after dropping everyone off, the train heads to the yard in WV.

two of the cabooses that you can rent for one of the trips.

after getting turned around, they back it up on to its private track where it'll sleep for the rest of the week till the next outing.

they had a 2nd train that day, it was a "Murder Mystery Train". a dinner and theature type deal. This train was pulled by a desiel instead and only used the 3 first class cars.

One of the funnier parts of the trip was when the tracks were running parallel to US-40. the looks on peoples faces as we were chugging along (literally). Guess people are shocked to see an old steam engine that big pulling old 50’s style passenger cars behind it. They are like “what the fu…”

Last edited by atomicmecha; 08-27-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome, I'd like to take that trip someday.

Any website with information?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile I love trains

That looks like a fun trip.

You took some postcard worthy photographs.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
awesome, I'd like to take that trip someday.

Any website with information?
www.wmsr.com

Originally Posted by Dizzyliz
That looks like a fun trip.

You took some postcard worthy photographs.
Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Cool photos; looks like a great time. I rode the Cumbres and Toltec a few years back (along the CO/NM border). We were covered by soot, after riding in the open car behind the tender, but it sure was a beautiful view (when you could see through the smoke).
Old 08-27-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Great pictures.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I loved your pictures! Thank you very much for sharing. My son is an avid train nut. He chases trains all over Wyoming and Idaho. Often times I go with him. I like steam trains. We've chased the Challenger out of Cheyenne and toured the round house. We've taken rides on the Durango/Silverton Train in Colorado several times. My DH and I have chased the 700, out of Portland, down the Columbia River road. What great fun!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie
I loved your pictures! Thank you very much for sharing. My son is an avid train nut. He chases trains all over Wyoming and Idaho. Often times I go with him. I like steam trains. We've chased the Challenger out of Cheyenne and toured the round house. We've taken rides on the Durango/Silverton Train in Colorado several times. My DH and I have chased the 700, out of Portland, down the Columbia River road. What great fun!

thanks! yeah, one of my buddies is also a big train nut like me and we go train chassing whenever we can. i'm going to be getting a lot more pictures now that i have a good digital camera. We want to go west a few times and see the old steam trains there. especially in CO with all the mountain trains.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
thanks! yeah, one of my buddies is also a big train nut like me and we go train chassing whenever we can. i'm going to be getting a lot more pictures now that i have a good digital camera. We want to go west a few times and see the old steam trains there. especially in CO with all the mountain trains.
The neat thing about the west is the wide open spaces and very few towns. You can drive for miles right along side the engine (if you can juggle that spot in the line of other trainaholics). We came here from Wisconsin 37 years ago. I remember trying to see trains there was so frustrating. You could only catch a quick glimpse at road crossings and then they disappeared into the trees.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha

These are my Favourite shots! Great photo's!

Quick Reply: Wmsr