Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP!!! check engine light EGR P0406

Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! check engine light EGR P0406

I have had the check engine light come on 5 times in the last two weeks, run the code and it's P0406 (EGR POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH )each time. I took the neg. wire off the battery two times to reset and 3 times it went off by itself after a day or two. Should I take it to the shop or is this something I could do myself. Thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace the egr valve. pretty common on the 3.8 not sure about your mechanical ability but its at the back of the pass side head. you'd want the jeep to be cold or get ready to get burnt
Old 10-28-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

Jeep Thrills is right,it very likely the EGR valve or more specifically the solenoid that activates the EGR is probably stuck open (high voltage on solenoid) even at low speeds when it is supposed to be closed.

On some vehicles, the PCM has to be flashed when replacing the EGR. I don't know if this is the case for the JK.

Have you seen any changes in your gas mileage since the error code appeared?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I agree the EGR is sending a signal to fault the ECM, however seems to me the EGR system is covered by warranty. If so take it to the dealership and let them repair under warranty.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't noticed any changes in gas mileage and I'm out of warranty. I have noticed that when I take off the Jeep goes at first and then hesitates for a second then picks back up again. I think its getting stuck opened because the check engine light come on after I have been driving a while and stop at a light.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

no warranty......... do it your self
Old 10-28-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hammerhead
I haven't noticed any changes in gas mileage and I'm out of warranty. I have noticed that when I take off the Jeep goes at first and then hesitates for a second then picks back up again. I think its getting stuck opened because the check engine light come on after I have been driving a while and stop at a light.
Sounds exactly like mine . . . only mine wont throw a code or light. So far the mechanics all look at me like I am a fool and ignore it completely. Funny thing is my old YJ that burns oil faster than I can change it has a smoother acceleration than my JK.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no offense...but if it's sending you a fault code, why wouldn't you resolve the root issue instead of just trying to clear the code and carry on. Just replace the EGR as stated, shouldn't take you but more than 20 min. Not sure on cost though....
Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

As you have probably read on some of the other posts, it could be something else. I would check the wires first. I have had the wiring harnesses fall down a few different times.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stirring an old post...
Just got done reading my codes... I have the egr code, but with low voltage. My milage sucks! Part is $80...
Can anyone point me to a write-up on how to replace the egr, or will it be self expalintory for someone with mild ability?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! check engine light EGR P0406