Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eaton TrueTrac vs ARB/OX

Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaton TrueTrac vs ARB/OX

I am considering regear now and it is good time to consider locker.
My JK is mostly onroad daily vehicle, but I do some mild offroad some weekends

I want something that is simple and strong. To me, ARB is too complicated
as it requires compressor, hose, switch. I read a lot about automatic locker,
it seems Eaton TrueTrac is a good product as it is almost open on road and
gives good locking ability offroad.

Anybody using this Eaton TrueTrac? If so, do you recommend it on front, rear
or both axle?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you have the money, it is very, very hard to beat the ARB. But as you said, you are paying a premium. An Ox would be just as complicated, and from most reports, less reliable.
The eaton ELocker would be a good option for your front D30 if you decide on a selectable. Electric activation like the rubi locker, no air lines, but it is pricey.

Since you won't need to worry much about snow and ice in Florida, you could consider an auto-locker. Detroits are the top of the food chain for auto's. Or if you want a budget option, look into any of the 'lunchbox' lockers. (aussie, lock-right, etc). They will perform well offroad, and should be un-noticeable when in 2wd.

The TruTrac is a great traction aid, but it depends on your situation. Most will recommend full lockers over a limited in areas with no snow/ice. They are great units, but a locker will outperform them. Just depends on your expectations. (my opinion, TruTracs front and back would be a great setup if you are not a hard-core rock crawler!!)

One issue to consider is whether or not you want a full locker in that D30. Some people lock them and have no issues, but there are a whole lot of people that don't think they are strong enough, or simply do not want to spend the money to lock it.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with all of the above.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Eaton

I ran an Eaton positrac limited slip unit in my FJ 40 for several years with no problems and excellent results for several years.
The only time you noticed it on the street was if you added to much power in a tight turn you would get some tire noise from the inside tire.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Talk to your dealer, find out how much a Dana 44 front axle is with the rubi locker in it. I have heard of people getting them for around 1500 bucks. This is the best option in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Truetrac is a great choice for either front or rear if you're not an aggressive wheeler. The work much better than open or with the factory equipped rear LSD but they're not quite up to locker type traction.

If you're considering a selectable up front, as nthinuf said, an Eaton Elocker is a great choice. It's as good as an ARB (and with a similar price) but electric instead of air operated.

I would also consider your long term expectations and your potential for doing more difficult wheeling. You may want to consider if using the 30 is your best option or if upgrading before you start your mods is a better choice.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlarso
I ran an Eaton positrac limited slip unit in my FJ 40 for several years with no problems and excellent results for several years.
The only time you noticed it on the street was if you added to much power in a tight turn you would get some tire noise from the inside tire.
Eaton doesn't make their Eaton Posi for a Dana 30. If they did, it would a bad choice. A clutch driven LSD like this is not intended for a front axle without locking front hubs and would provide very negative steering feel. For rear applications, it isn't as bad but suffers from premature clutch wear if a tire is lifted. The Eaton posi was never designed for off road use but is a great option for street cars. The Truetrac is a much better choice for an off road rig.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truetrac's getting installed this week for me (& 4.88's)!

Quick Reply: Eaton TrueTrac vs ARB/OX