Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wobble, but not death wobble

Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble, but not death wobble

I got a 07 2 dr rubicon with about 100,000 on it. About a month and a half ago I upgraded to some dick cepek fc 2s, 35x12.5x17. For the past couple weeks my jeep has become fond of wandering out of the lane when I hit a bump or pothole in the road. It's not death wobble cus I don't have to slow down to fix it and its not uncontrollable. Seems more like a serious case of bump steer, it's like the tires hit a bump and pull in one direction or the other. I can feel it through the steering wheel and it feels like there's some play somewhere up front. Idk if its just the weight of the tires or what but it seems to be something more than that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

I had same issues when I went to 35's it ended up being ball joints and wheel bearing had gone out. The bigger tires made the problem more noticeable. Just what happened to me.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Those were my first concerns, glad someone else had the same issue. Thanks a lot man
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you changed your steering stabilizer yet. I have 114k on mine.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

No I haven't changed it yet but I have checked it to make sure that wasn't that problem. Mine seems to be holding up just fine still, I'm upgrading to the dual setup soon anyways though
Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

On my '07, the problem.was cured with GREASABLE upper and lower ball joints.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Doyle_09,
Did you find the culprit yet? I'm having the SAME with my 2007 JK.. I swapped Draglink, tie rod and ends, swapped out the Trackbar bolts to larger ones, installed new steering stabilizer.. and replaced both upper & lower ball joints both sides. I thought I had defeated it as the problem went away for 3 months but has now returned again...
Old 04-19-2018, 04:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri_Wess
Doyle_09,
Did you find the culprit yet? I'm having the SAME with my 2007 JK.. I swapped Draglink, tie rod and ends, swapped out the Trackbar bolts to larger ones, installed new steering stabilizer.. and replaced both upper & lower ball joints both sides. I thought I had defeated it as the problem went away for 3 months but has now returned again...
I’m in the metroplex, but complete other side than you are. What are your actual symptoms? When you hit a bump or pothole, are you just getting bumpsteer? Is the jeep just wandering? Looks like you have stock suspension still. So you’ve replaced DL and TR ends and BJs how long ago? What BJs did you put in when you replaced? Presume you replaced TR and DL ends with more factory parts? You changed the TB bolts, but actual TB is still stock? How many miles you have on it now? With that age, and likely mileage, you are kinda nearing just normal maintenance replacement on some things, and TB bushings could be questionable. Fill in a few details and maybe we can help you out with your issue.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Strange... I posted in a thread "Incurable Death Wobble" but it posted here...

Resharp001, I'll PM you so I don't hijack this thread...
Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri_Wess
Strange... I posted in a thread "Incurable Death Wobble" but it posted here...

Resharp001, I'll PM you so I don't hijack this thread...
np. I saw post in the other thread just now as well. No PM yet, but will look for one. Typically for this issue, it's best to start a new thread just so it's easier for you to track and if someone else stumbles on it they may find it helpful....kinda like you're stumbling on old posts...cept those folks never followed up with their fix. Anyhow, the advice is always the same, but peoples' jeeps are all set up differently and they've addressed different things heading in to these issues, so it's good to know the base from which we are all starting to give advice.

Quick Reply: Wobble, but not death wobble