Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2" lift, sway bar links confusion

Old 11-13-2015, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" lift, sway bar links confusion

Hey everybody,
I'm about to install an OME 2" lift kit, and I'm a bit confused as to what extra hardware I need, mainly the said links.
I have a 2015 rubicon with electronic disconnect. Do I need to swap *only* the front links to longer ones? Do I need to swap *both* rear and back, and if so - do I just move the rear's to the front and get new rear links? I read a lot of various posts and article on the internet but didn't find any conclusive, definite, answer.

I should mention that the kit includes a rear track-bar relocation bracket.

I would also appreciate recommendations as to which links (manufacturer) I should get.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the kit comes with sway bar links already ?
I have a JK Sport, so I don't know how the Rubi setup works, but when I started with a 2.5 lift kit, the stock rear links were supposed to go in the front, while the new links that came with the kit went to the rear,(Rubicon Express links for 2.5" lift, they're 9 1/2" tall eye to eye), I didn't use the stock rears as I installed TF sway bar disconnects, and use the TF links, but they're the same length as the stock rear links (8 1/2" eye to eye), this is the Teraflex Disconnect for 0"-3" lift

Now i'm running OME coils, that netted me 2" aprox lift (2" front, 2 1/4" rear because I have correction wedges in the rear springs), and Skyjacker SBE502 links in the back, this ones are taller than RE links at 11"

Just out of curiosity, do you know what springs do you have in that 2" OME lift kit ? I have OME 2616 front, and 2617 rear, so I wonder it's the same thing that comes in that kit
Old 11-13-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey

Hey,
No the kit does not come with any links (neither front nor rear). I have a metal bumper and a winch so I'm getting their "medium" kit: front springs are 2628 and rear are 2617
Old 11-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Both sway bars should be parallel to the ground or +/-5°, this is particularly important for your rubicon if you intend to use your electronic disconnect. Too short of links in the front and you'll flip the links.

Brands are like anything else- everyone has their favorite because "they're the best" without any real data to back it up. I bought jks because they do a ton of marketing and thus it paid off for them. I wouldn't buy them again because for my application, I'm supposed to be greasing the links weekly. They work but I hate greasing every week. A couple times a year would be ok in my book. Your mileage and experience may vary.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Too short of links in the front and you'll flip the links.
Great opportunity to pull out the camera!!
Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone please tell me why people go buy the most expensive Jeep there is, or any Jeep for that matter, and try to find the cheapest way to lift it ? I really don't understand. Isn't it pretty much the biggest investment most people make besides their houses ? Is it because lack of knowledge ? Only reading these forums and taking what you read as gospel ? Possibly broke after buying the Jeep? Why not wait then, until you can afford, or gain the knowledge, to make an educated pick. Seriously, I don't understand. Invest in the knowledge it takes to know for sure what you need, based on what you do, then buy the most complete, best made kit there is.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dahreno
Can someone please tell me why people go buy the most expensive Jeep there is, or any Jeep for that matter, and try to find the cheapest way to lift it ? I really don't understand. Isn't it pretty much the biggest investment most people make besides their houses ? Is it because lack of knowledge ? Only reading these forums and taking what you read as gospel ? Possibly broke after buying the Jeep? Why not wait then, until you can afford, or gain the knowledge, to make an educated pick. Seriously, I don't understand. Invest in the knowledge it takes to know for sure what you need, based on what you do, then buy the most complete, best made kit there is.
I don't understand just because you have lack of knowledge or too much money you feel it is necessary to buy a kit based on it's high price. I don't even see why you asked that comment anyways. Not once did the OP mention trying to save a dollar. He asked if he needed longer swaybar links because they didn't come with his kit. He didn't buy a junk kit he bought a quality one that fits his needs. Maybe you should keep your snide and judge mental comments to yourself and not worry about what other people invest their money into.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

He may have bought a kit from a good manufacture but, not a complete kit. Now that he has spent the money and has done the work, he is still left with questions about parts he didn't get, or purchased. He also obliviously feels like something is missing. He would be right. I also didn't mean to buy at the highest price, I meant the highest price he could afford. That usually means getting all the parts you really need. BTW, I don't see where I said the highest price. You read in between the lines like a chick.

Last edited by dahreno; 11-14-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

The kit he bougth is not cheapest, sure it doest come with links, but doest it matter whether or not the links are not included when those links are available somewhere else? I'm also failing to your point, what do you know about the subject? What do you know about lift kits?, is the op asking you for money to buy parts? Wtf?

You're not providing any technical details to the op question, youre just bitching about being cheap, which this kit is not, and bitching about the lack of links in the kit, if you want to bitch about vendors, and praise only the best, Waytocry.com is a better forum for you, they know the best kit, and they'll more than happy to stuff you up to your azz about it, plus you'll happy to know is expensive and super complete, so your money will be taken care off.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dahreno
The best most problem free lift I bought was a used coil spacer lift and used rear #59 coils from this forum.

Quick Reply: 2" lift, sway bar links confusion