Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 JK oil burning story

Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 2008 JK oil burning story

My Rubicon has used a quart of oil every 1000 miles, since about 30k miles. It now has 76K miles on it.
I purchased it new.
Several months ago, I took it to the dealer due to an oil leak at the intake manifold.
Never had any drips of oil on the garage floor. I just happened to notice the oil setting between the intake manifold and valve covers.
They replaced the lower intake manifold gaskets and seals, and installed a new timing chain cover, which included the water pump.
The timing cover was replaced due to a porosity defect was present on the JK models produced in 2007 and 2008.
This was all covered under the lifetime powertrain warranty thank goodness.

Well, the good news is that the Jeep was not burning oil at all. Just leaking oil.
I've put 1000 miles on it since the repair and the oil level is still at the full mark. Yes, I checked the oil level right after the repair to verify the level on the dip stick.
I'm now finally happy with that jeep.
The 10 year inspection is coming up in October to maintain the lifetime warranty. That powertrain warranty is worth it's weight in gold!

Last edited by jonnied1; 12-25-2018 at 06:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jedg (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

40+ quarts of oil (1qt each 1k miles) seems like a ton to be disappearing via a leak.......and a leak not making a mess of the undercarriage and garage floor none the less! Makes more sense if burning oil.
RoubsX2 (03-23-2019)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

That's helpful info for some folks.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
40+ quarts of oil (1qt each 1k miles) seems like a ton to be disappearing via a leak.......and a leak not making a mess of the undercarriage and garage floor none the less! Makes more sense if burning oil.
My thoughts as well.

However, this is what I would guess may be happening based upon my experience with the LIM when I had a coolant leak. Oil or Coolant, they're both in that same area contained by the LIM gasket. What I observed with the coolant leak from the LIM gasket is that it leaked down the engine block and then was dripping and being caught by the front skid plate/plastic air dam underneath it. Then when you were driving down the highway, it would get blown out onto the highway where you never noticed the leak unless you got lucky and saw a few drops drip immediately after you parked. In addition, the leak from the LIM gasket also doesn't show its face until the engine is hot and running.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-27-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
My thoughts as well.

However, this is what I would guess may be happening based upon my experience with the LIM when I had a coolant leak. Oil or Coolant, they're both in that same area contained by the LIM gasket. What I observed with the coolant leak from the LIM gasket is that it leaked down the engine block and then was dripping and being caught by the front skid plate/plastic air dam underneath it. Then when you were driving down the highway, it would get blown out onto the highway where you never noticed the leak unless you got lucky and saw a few drops drip immediately after you parked.
Y, but the one thing about coolant is it blows off and dries. Oil, that stuff isn't just disappearing like a fart in the wind. Any oil leak I've ever had.....wind just blows that oil all over creating a mess and spreading it around. I can't even fathom a leak of a quart in 1k miles. That is bad enough burning that much. I'm not disputing the claim at all, and glad OP found resolution, I'm just scratchin' my head on the how on earth part....
Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Don't know what to tell you, didn't say there wasn't evidence of oil on the engine, just no oil on the garage floor. First time in over 40K miles I have not had to add a quart of oil at around 1K mile mark.
Had to keep checking it because I could not believe it either. I'll keep you guys updated as I accumulate more miles.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

OP here. Update on oil usage. The jeep now has a little over 2,000 miles since the work was performed. It has used about 1/2 quart of oil. I'm satisfied to say most of the disappearing oil WAS due to leakage. I can live with 1/2 quart usage in 2,000 miles.
I will update again around 3,000 miles, then again at 4,000 miles.
As you can tell, this is not my daily driver.
RoubsX2 (03-23-2019)
Old 12-25-2018, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up 3000 mile update-good news

Reached the 3000 mile mark after the above mentioned repairs in the first post.
Oil level is still above the add mark on the dip-stick by around 1/4 quart. I'm very happy to see this.
Hard to believe all that that oil was leaking.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Good deal
Old 03-16-2019, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Finally had to add 1quart at 3700 miles.

Quick Reply: 2008 JK oil burning story