Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mesh Sun Screen Opinions Wanted

Old 03-20-2019, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Default Mesh Sun Screen Opinions Wanted

Ok folks, It’s about to start heating up here in Texas. The top is off again, and my jeep stays that was probably 90% of the time. A mesh sunscreen is an absolute must to make driving in 100* heat bearable. Mind you, my jeep is pretty much “toy” status, but I do still drive it to work occasionally in a suit and tie. I have had a Dirty Dog 4x4 2-piece shade previously, and the most recent shade was the ole standard Spiderweb shade. My dilemma is always the transition over the center crossover/soundbar. The 2-piece Dirty Dog had to use velcro in that area, and I came to hate it. The adhesive used to make velcro stick doesn’t hold up to the Texas sun. The Spiderweb shade was ok, but I hated that transition to the back. It flapped bad over the soundbar area, so I bolted it down through where the freedom panel hardtop screws would pass . This worked ok in keeping the top from flapping, but always looked weird cuz the top would be pulled awkwardly to actually get the brass grommets to line up with those holes. I just didn’t like how the shade would bunch up a bit there.

I automatically rule out models that use straps with cheap plastic buckles. I just don’t think they hold up to the constant beating or the UV rays. At least with a bungee they are easily replaceable when worn. I wonder if Spiderweb “similar” models that use magnets to hold the top down over that crossmember work well or not? Do those tops still flap around? What is everyone out there using in regards to sunscreen, and would you guy the same thing again?

Anyone use the actual Mopar model?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

This is a timely post. I've had the same frustrations and my jeep is the same status as your... a toy that I drive 2-3 times per week to work, so it rarely has the doors/top on.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I thought there were safari or bikini tops, where it's a top that just covers the front and can be folded down?....unsure who makes them, probably Best Top or Trektop. Or is that missing the point of having a mess top? I guess my thought was with one of those types of tops is that it's easy to fold all the way down and if the sun is blistering hot, you can put it up for some shade.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-20-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I thought there were safari or bikini tops, where it's a top that just covers the front?....unsure who makes them, probably Best Top or Trektop. Or is that missing the point of having a mess top? I guess my thought was with one of those types of tops is that it's easy to fold all the way down and if the sun is blistering hot, you can put it up for some shade.
Nah, these mesh tops are much more like being completely topless, cept they cut out a lot of UV rays. You get a lot more airflow with these vs. a traditional bikini or behimi top that is solid material (like a soft top), but you don't get the sunburn. They actually work really well. Up until about 100*, driving around with one of these and the a/c on is still pretty comfortable. Over 100*......then anything more than a short trip does start to get hot and you start wanting something that provides complete coverage.

Kind of looking at the JTopsUSA model. I usually don't like straps, but I do like how their screen comes all the way over the rollbar, and one gripe I've had about my previous models is how quick they discolor and "streak". JTopsUSA claims 5 years fade-free.....and warranties the straps. Anyone use this brand before? 5 years would be a considerable challenge here in my area!......these guys are sure proud of their product though.....they are double the price of others.

Last edited by resharp001; 03-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ugh, the other issue I have is I have an Excessive Industries "40-Bar" replacing my rear rollbar crossover....which impacts how any shade attaches to that rear crossover a bit. Nothing on my jeep is simple.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I have the alien sunshade. Was $97 on Amazon. I had it on all last summer and I like it. I'll be putting it back on this summer.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I see someone listed a black JTops version on the marketplace today for $165. Those look like really nice tops, but hard pulling the trigger at $230 compared to the $100 versions. I guess the real difference would be if they really do last 5 years. I think their comparison page is pretty interesting. Having owned a Dirty Dog and a Spiderweb Shade, I can say the fading is indeed accurate. They compare to Alien Shade on there as well. I think I got 3 -4 years out of my Dirty Dog, but it looked faded and worn well before that. I got 2 years out of the Spiderweb Shade. I mean, it's still functional, but just looks faded and ugly. I'd probably buy that black one on the Marketplace, but after "settling" for black the last 2 times, I think I'm actually gonna get grey in hopes of it hiding the dust from wheelin' a bit better. I'm on the edge of ordering one.....haven't found one that I think looks better, but still not happy bout the price.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a new JTOPSUSA screen, in "dark titanium". It seems like the best model for what I'm wanting, but I've been putting it off with consternation over the dumb price. These guys are in Texas, so if I ordered directly from there there was tax and shipping. The only vender to buy em from was Extreme Terrain, and they didn't have the color I wanted, and apparently they don't respond to PMs here. They are my least favorite vender anyhow, but I would have bought from them for the free shipping and 6% discount. I paid $233 and it pisses me off to spend so much on a top to be honest. I settled for black the last 2 times cuz I was too cheap to pay for a color, and wasn't going to settle this time. My top is off most the time, so this really is more of a "top" for me than what most would use it for I guess. Worth paying a little more if I can actually get 5 years out of it vs. 2 for these others. I even pressure washed my Spider Web Shade last night hoping for an improvement. It just looks like crap. I should get this product next week and will be sure to update with an unbiased opinion.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Keep us posted on your thoughts about this top.

Honestly, I wish I could fabricate an aluminum top that bolted to my cage. I don't have that kind of skill.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ordered Friday at 12:55 central time. It's now Monday 1:30 central time, and my status is "paid, awaiting processing". I don't see them at some event on their FB page since Lone Star Jeep Invasion was the previous weekend....so no real excuse I can see that I am still "pending". I would have just ordered from Extreme Terrain had I not been set on this dumb color. Starting off on the wrong foot.....I hope the product is impressive.

Quick Reply: Mesh Sun Screen Opinions Wanted