Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door stuck on

Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door stuck on

I have a 2016 2 door. The passenger door comes off just fine but the driver door wont budge. It opens and swings like it normally should but won't lift at all. Any tricks to get it off? During the summer months I spend more time with the doors off than on. I'd like to get it off this spring and clean it all out so I can have a easier time this summer. TYIA
Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd suggest checking to make sure the nuts are off!

But it does mostly come down to applying upward force at exactly the right angle... of course, if you're getting the passenger door off no problem, you probably already knew that...

So... WD-40?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Some may cringe at this, but I finally used a 2x4 and my floor jack. I placed a 6" long piece of 2x4 under the flat portion of the door as close to the hinges as I could get. It worked. I'll say it may help to have someone help as my door came loose in a rush and I almost dropped it.
The following users liked this post:
Daniel Cox (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Some may cringe at this, but I finally used a 2x4 and my floor jack. I placed a 6" long piece of 2x4 under the flat portion of the door as close to the hinges as I could get. It worked. I'll say it may help to have someone help as my door came loose in a rush and I almost dropped it.
This was going to be my suggestion. The last time I took mine off the passenger one tried to stick, I was about to give up and get the jack and a block when it finally popped out.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Make sure it's swung out wide enough so the hinge isn't holding you up. Beyond that, I used to wedge a leg under the door and give it some side-to-side action. I've never had to resort to a jack, but sometimes you do have to be rough with it. Clean the hinge pins and put some delrin inserts in for next time if you haven't yet.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
This is exactly what I did. My 2012 had never had the doors off until last summer. I opened the door, put the wood underneath and gently put upward pressure using a bottle jack. I greased everything up with brake caliper grease when I put them back on so I hope they lift off easily this summer.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Once you get em off, either install some delrin bushings in the hinge, or at least add a little grease to the pins so they aren't so stubborn next time. If you go with Delrin bushings, I'd get the good ones. I have the cheap half-price set and they don't want to stay in place. Most the time when I pull the doors off, the delrin sleeve comes off on the pin rather than staying in the hinge.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Floor jack worked for me and I replaced the inserts so it would never happen again.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I added the delrin bushings, which made mine a pain to get off. They were much easier before the bushing replacement.

Quick Reply: Door stuck on