Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle/vibrating sound from gear shift

Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rattle/vibrating sound from gear shift

When accelerating and my engine/aftermarket exhaust creates a little vibration, I get a slight rattle noise from, best I can tell, gear shift. Seems I had read some time back that another member was getting a slight rattle noise from the gear shift area. It's not anything mechanical from what I can tell. When I grad the gear shift it tends to damped the noise.

It's got to be something down in the trim/housing at the gear shift. When accelerating and the mid range RPMs the sound occurs and I can simply put my hand on the gear shift and the rattle noise is dampened. I can't tell if there is a piece that may be down in there up against the shaft of the gear shift that is making this noise when there is the vibration from the engine RPM/exhaust or what. Gets very annoying though.

Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

My 2013 has a four piece shift knob, the top silver part with the shift pattern, a chrome ring that goes around under that, then the black main body of the knob, and then another chrome ring around the bottom. Both of the chrome rings came loose at different times, and had to be glued back together. Both times it creates noises as you describe. If yours has this style knob, wrap your hand all the way around the knob and see if the noise goes away, I suspect it is that bottom chrome ring.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tjkamp
My 2013 has a four piece shift knob, the top silver part with the shift pattern, a chrome ring that goes around under that, then the black main body of the knob, and then another chrome ring around the bottom. Both of the chrome rings came loose at different times, and had to be glued back together. Both times it creates noises as you describe. If yours has this style knob, wrap your hand all the way around the knob and see if the noise goes away, I suspect it is that bottom chrome ring.
It does not seem to be coming from the knob. Seems like something further down. Maybe down in the plastic housing (console). I guess I'll try to remove the console and see if I can find anything.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have what I believe you are describing.It is not always there but when it is there, it goes away when grabbing the gearshift.

The first time it happened it took a while to find the source of the noise.

Everything seems to work correctly except for the occasional noise.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 04-04-2019, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
I also have what I believe you are describing.It is not always there but when it is there, it goes away when grabbing the gearshift.

The first time it happened it took a while to find the source of the noise.

Everything seems to work correctly except for the occasional noise.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
I thought about taking the handle off and see if it make any difference. Also, thought maybe some piece or maybe a wire connection piece or something down in the console/trim may be making contact to cause the noise. If nothing else, I guess I can remove the console and see if I can track it down from there.

Quick Reply: Rattle/vibrating sound from gear shift