Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear upper bumpstops

Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Rear upper bumpstops

My factory rear upper bump stops 2008 are trashed. How do I go about getting new ones? Up top you can see they are eaten away and below are the teraflex blocks I got with my OME lift.

Does the replacement just press fit in and old one pull out? Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo932.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	677352  
Old 03-24-2019, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yep, it's just a foam bump. If I had kept mine then they'd be in the mail for you. If I'd chethat part number on in tparts catalog and see how much they are. Surely eBay and one of those dismantlers has a set.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

They can be a bitch to pull out and since yours are already trashed just get a big drill bit and drill the centers out to help with removal.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
They can be a bitch to pull out and since yours are already trashed just get a big drill bit and drill the centers out to help with removal.
Are they just press fit in? What gets drilled out? How can you drill it out without the clearance?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

They are pressed in but the bracket has a couple teeth pressed into it to hold the foam in. Jack the jeep up or just drill a few holes at an angle to get as much out of it as you can before trying to pull it out.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

They are pressed in but the bracket has a couple teeth pressed into it to hold the foam in. Jack the jeep up or just drill a few holes at an angle to get as much out of it as you can before trying to pull it out.
Ok I see because if I pull and it gets stuck inside then the new ones won't be able to press fit and stay in place. Prob just bounce out after a hard bump.

Any ideas where to get replacement?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

either the dealer or post up in the wanted section of the forums and craigslist. You might want to address why you are so hard on the bumps as well.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

either the dealer or post up in the wanted section of the forums and craigslist. You might want to address why you are so hard on the bumps as well.
I think I was so hard on them because I ran bad shocks and too light springs in the rear when I added an aftermarket bumper. I have since upgraded the rear springs to OME HD and understand now that even with nitro charged shocks they probably aren't going to last 80k lol
Old 03-24-2019, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would guess your set of bump stop and shocks is wrong for your tire size and you lack up travel. For your tire size you should only need 1/2" extra bump stop over factory. This is of course for tires and your shock body may justify the need for extra bump but I would not think you are running that long of a body shock. Not really knowing what you have makes it a tough call but to me you don't need that lower bump pad extension. With your lift running the tires you are you should have around 6"-7" of up travel in your suspension. In that photo it looks like you have about 3".
Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

I would guess your set of bump stop and shocks is wrong for your tire size and you lack up travel. For your tire size you should only need 1/2" extra bump stop over factory. This is of course for tires and your shock body may justify the need for extra bump but I would not think you are running that long of a body shock. Not really knowing what you have makes it a tough call but to me you don't need that lower bump pad extension. With your lift running the tires you are you should have around 6"-7" of up travel in your suspension. In that photo it looks like you have about 3".
Well maybe I could get your opinion now on it. I'm running the OME HD (heaviest springs) they make I think they say 0615 on the tags. Then also the OME shocks that come standard nitro charged. Finally 305 70 r16 tires KM2's. I'm not exactly sure how much lift I got from them but the lower blocks are only held down by a bolt so I could easily remove them.

The Jeep does hit often enough to make me want to change the uppers so you could be right that there is some restriction there. Before I did the spring change from the MD to HD it was really bad.

Last edited by EHarris; 03-24-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear upper bumpstops