Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Aligment for JK

Old 03-24-2019, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aligment for JK

I've recently installed a 3 inch base lift from Teraflex. After it's all said and done I understand its mode like 3 1/2. So two question I have since I'm a newbie to this stuff. One, do I need an aligment after buying FIXED control arms that are specifically designed for my lift (front lower, rear upper) that is suppose to correct aligment issues; and two rear seems higher than the front, is that normal to make up for spare tire? I installed the whole thing myself let's just say it was a bit more than I expected.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-sport-4-flexarm-kit-for-253-lift-0718-jk.html?utm_content=XT Handling - Control Arms%7CTeraflex&T5_Var4=J117817&intl=0&utm_campaig n=XTW+Wrangler+Brands+%26+Vehicle+Low&dialogtech=p pc&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&T5_Var3=o range&gclid=CjwKCAjw1dzkBRBWEiwAROVDLBbDr38yOmClw0 3b7eZePwAkcG7YR6FRW73LQE5dIjKEKdBw3I93cxoCXPUQAvD_ BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

These are the arms that I installed.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:19 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Outside of recentering your steering wheel and setting your toe, there is nothing else an alignment shop to do. It would be nice to know what your caster is with the new arms. Many places will give you the alignment spec sheet even if you elect to not have them make any changes. This thread will probably head in the direction of fixed length arms vs. adjustable, but I don't care to take it there tonight. You have what you have and it's all installed. Good job by the way, doing the install yourself. Give it a couple hundred miles and go back and retorque every bolt that you touched.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Good for you for installing it yourself! I will double-down on what resharp001 says about going back over ALL the bolts and ensuring they are still at the correct torque. That'll be important to prevent death wobble and premature wear on the components.

If your kit required you to disconnect the front track bar, be SURE you have this torqued to 125 ft lbs or you'll become familiar with the feeling of prying your butt off your seat after you experience death wobble... hehehe
Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've heard of the death wobble! Hopefully I never have to experience that Haha hahaha if I installed everything right we should be good. My rear upper control arm had seemed to cause bowing in my sprint. Is this because it changes the angle of the spring seat? Havent put on new control on the rear lower hopefully that will spin the spring seat so it doesnt bow as much. It fixed the caster and pinion but it seems my spring are paying for it. Have you guys experienced this?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Barlowiilla
My rear upper control arm had seemed to cause bowing in my sprint. Is this because it changes the angle of the spring seat? Havent put on new control on the rear lower hopefully that will spin the spring seat so it doesnt bow as much. It fixed the caster and pinion but it seems my spring are paying for it. Have you guys experienced this?
Caster, Pinion, Driveshaft Joint angles, and Coil Perch angles are all inter-related. When you added the control arms, you raised the caster (up front) and lowered the pinion (front and rear) at the same time. Because the pinions were lowered, the driveshaft joints run at steeper angles, and the coil perches of course rotated as well. Using a second set of arms specifically to rotate the coil perches...will automatically be messing with the caster/pinion/driveshaft angles again. A better option might be one of the various types of correction plates, or cutting/welding.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough...s-jk-1113.html
https://metalcloak.com/jk-rear-coil-...-retainer.html
https://www.artecindustries.com/Rear...air_p_328.html
Old 03-27-2019, 01:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

yup, in addition to the few nthinuf linked, Rock Krawler has some $20 wedges similar to the Rough Country ones above (but a full block). You can also just chop the perches off and get adjustable perches that clamp on with U-clamps....although that's getting to be a bit more than most want to do. Rear spring bend is just something with deal with.

Quick Reply: Aligment for JK