Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

currie tie rod joint replacement

Old 04-20-2019, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default currie tie rod joint replacement

replaced the cartridges in my currie tie rod. The cartridges are actually rare parts ball joints. Ran into a bit of a quirk or issue or lack of experience. When i removed the old joints there was a washer/spacer between the joint on the tie rod and steering knuckle mount. The old rubber boot was all mashed and torn to crap and half gone. The new cartridgescomes with new rubber boots so i installed the new cartridges into the tie rod with new rubber boots then mounted tie rod with washer/spacer and once all torqued to spec the new rubber boot is mashed/torn. So i removed the rubber boot as its useless at this point and reinstalled the tie rod without rubber boots which is shown in the attached pic. I dont see how the washer and bott can be installed together, its one or the other. I also found its pretty hard to get new grease into these joints although they are full so maybe this is the reason. If not then if i go through water i may have to loosen the tie rod to drop it a bit to pump new grease in. I also noticed theres no rotational play at all with the new joints whereas there was a bit of rotational play with the old ones. Im just not sure if these are issues or not?
Thanks

Old 04-20-2019, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

forgot to mention, my setup is a dynatrac prorock60 with currie tie rod, drag link.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Did you purchase the jeep like that? If so, it almost looks like someone tried to create a low misalignment situation with that washer, and maybe left the old boot on thinking it would continue protecting, but as you noted the boot would just get torn up. In those situations, it's an either/or type thing. I'm not familiar with the Currie TR, and can't tell if that is just a normal washer or someone's actual low misalignment cap. Just what it looks like in the pic to me.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

thankyou for the reply. after doing some further digging online i was able to confirm it is a low misalignment lockout. it appears rare parts and currie(rebranded rare parts part#) has a one piece urethane low misalignment/boot combo so i think i will order a few of these and try them out.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Its a milled washer with some foam glued to it to make some kind of a grease seal, It works poorly but is better then the clunky way it worked when it first came out. I like the concept of the design but it is too heavy and expensive and just does not work that great with the messy grease situation.
The joints are stiff because they are new and will loosen up. You don't need much misalignment in a tie rod.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Its a milled washer with some foam glued to it to make some kind of a grease seal, It works poorly but is better then the clunky way it worked when it first came out. I like the concept of the design but it is too heavy and expensive and just does not work that great with the messy grease situation.
The joints are stiff because they are new and will loosen up. You don't need much misalignment in a tie rod.
gotcha,thanks

Quick Reply: currie tie rod joint replacement