Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Doetsch Off-Road Aluminum Tie Rod

Old 04-21-2019, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts
Default Doetsch Off-Road Aluminum Tie Rod

Morning folks,

I'm showing off (rather starting a review/ Q&A) for the Doetsch tie rod. Well how did I come to this rod if I've been running the Ruff Stuff rod and it was great? The Ruff Stuff was great....until I set the front end of the Jeep on a big rock...and by set, I mean that it slipped on dry clay powder and dumped the tie rod right onto the rock. So I got home and adjusted it and it was better but still bent. The RS was a huge improvement over stock but I see now that there's room for improvement in their design. I'll get back to the RS later, let's move on to the Doetsch.

It is solid aluminum like the competition (Barnes, RPMFab, etc) with "1 ton" ends (that are actually 3/4 ton ends), and it has -drum rolllllll- a lifetime warranty on the rod itself. So if you bend it, they replace it- once. I sent off an email to the owner and he said very plainly that if you're regularly bending the rod, it isn't the rod under the Jeep, it's the rod in the driver's seat (my words, not his). The ends have really nice accordion style boots unlike the RS which had basic dust covers. I just installed the rod yesterday- no drilling for those considering it, and the install was the same as the RS. A little more bragging on the Doetsch rod though, it came with the ends already installed and they had anti-seize on them. I don't recall the RS having anti-seize but I could be wrong. Additionally, the DOR came with a beefy clamp if you were going to use a steering stabilizer. The RS did not and the Barnes only comes with a piece of plate and two U bolts.

So I've installed it and now I'm running it. I'll post up if I have issues or just general updates as I hit various mileage marks. If you've got questions that I can answer, fire away. I thought it might be nice to present the community with another option for a tie rod. Again, RS was good right up until I dropped it on the rocks. It could have had better boots on the ends but that's an easy fix. The RS was on the Jeep for about 3 years. Current mileage is 195,000 so hopefully this is the last rod I'll be buying and the ends should last me too as I'm consistent with greasing things.

***Also, as a disclaimer- I am not sponsored, Doetsch doesn't endorse this ad, and all of that PC garbage. I bought it after bending the Ruff Stuff.

Ruff Stuff Boots- cracked and not sealing out contaminants, Rubicon Express DL

Doetsch Boots- cotter keys to be installed....and already hit the first bug

Doetsch Tie Rod

Last edited by karls10jk; 04-21-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Also....if you guys want to post measurements grease fitting to grease fitting, that'd be alright. I know toe isn't going to be the same for everyone but we should all be relatively close. I got 58 7/16" off of my bent RS but it was set based off of the factory rod. I put the wheel spacers on jack stands and dropped out the factory rod and put in the RS- super scientific, I know. It seemed to be pretty close but I never got around to a formal alignment of the toe. I know- measuring tape on the front and rear of the tires and 1/16-1/8" difference front to rear but I'm not in a position with a garage and such at the moment so that option is off the table.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Did the warranty sway you a bit vs. going the route that Bora Bora did with his aluminum rod for ~$200? I pulled up their site to see how much that cost. Seems like $250+clamp (which appeared to be extra via drop down). Definitely looks nice a shiny. If I ever bend this dang Synergy, I'll be going the route of aluminum as well....although I'm always looking out for how aluminum works with hydro as that remains in the plans.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Warranty is nice but I simply don't have the means to do what BoraBora did. The clamp was included but I see now it's extra (but also drops the price). I would have bought it without the clamp to save $50 because I don't run a steering stabilizer at all.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Warranty is nice but I simply don't have the means to do what BoraBora did. The clamp was included but I see now it's extra (but also drops the price). I would have bought it without the clamp to save $50 because I don't run a steering stabilizer at all.
Same I bought the combo tie and drag with the clamp and don't use the stabilizer. Partly due to it doesn't fit the stock stabilizer bolt. Good quality with no complaints.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I simply don't have the means to do what BoraBora did.
Maybe there was misunderstanding on that DIY. He just ordered a 53" bar of aluminum, the vendor drilled and tapped for the 1-ton ends. You even select which threads you want tapped in the ends. Basically getting the parts and screwing in the ends like with the RS one. Not faulting you for your decision, I'd basically built one and just didn't order as I wanted to see how difficult it was or wasn't back at that time.

Anyhow, will be curious to see how this holds up for you. If you bend that sucker so bad it doesn't spring back.....then you need to post some pics or what did it! I've watched several videos of aluminum TR's, and sure surprises me the abuse an aluminum rod can take.

Quick Reply: Doetsch Off-Road Aluminum Tie Rod