Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading lift

Old 04-21-2019, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default upgrading lift

I have a 2012 JKUR. I am currently running an OME 2" lift. I have no problems with this lift but my weakness on the trails is high centering. I am looking to upgrade to a 3-4" lift. I already have adjustable control arms, track bar relocation, adjustable tie rod and drive shafts. I think I only need coils and shocks and extended brake lines to get the extra height. I have flat fenders also and am running 35s and do not currently want to go any bigger with the tires. Just looking to hear some opinions and options. It seems that parts places sell individual parts or full kits, nothing in between. I am looking for some decent coils and shocks that wont break the bank.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

That will put you in the range for wanting a draglink flip. Not mandatory, but something to research. You'll want longer swaybar links to keep those level for the new height. (you definitely don't want short links up front.)

Cheapest would be to just add spacers to your current coils, and you could even go with spacers for the current shocks. If you want taller coils, try to find posts listing the expected lift heights you might get from various mfg's. For instance, my MetalCloak 3.5" coils gave around 4.5", which may be taller than you want to end up. (Unless you have a heavier rig that will compress them more than mine does...)

Shock choice is very subjective, find as many reviews as you can. Rancho 9000's are getting a lot of attention for the adjustability and rebates. Many people like bilstein 5100's, but a few of us here think they are very stiff. I like the OME Long Travel shocks that metalcloak used to sell to go with their coils. And they now offer their own Rocksport shock with very similar specs to the longer OME's. And, as part of your research, check the travel specs as well as reviews and prices. (the OME LT's and the Rocksports have almost an inch more travel than the 9000's, and about a quarter inch more than 5100's.)

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-21-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Maybe pick better lines. No matter how high you lift there will always be a big rock you can get stuck on.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Maybe pick better lines. No matter how high you lift there will always be a big rock you can get stuck on.
^^Truth. I'd rather invest in some good skids if you don't have some already (didn't see listed in profile).

Once you're at 2-2.5" and 35's, the performance differences of going higher, or increasing tire size to 37s (which i know you said you weren't interested in), are marginal at best....especially for the increased cost of additional parts. If anything, I'd probably consider just a 1" puck added to the springs. That keeps you under that DL flip "zone", gets you a little more lift, and keeps the cost way down. With the adjustable arms you could dial caster back in.
The following users liked this post:
Remington19 (06-14-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Maybe this will give you enough boost.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have the adjustable JKS swaybar links already, only have stock Rubicon skids for now. Picking better lines isn't always an option. I do pretty well on the trails and have gotten pretty good at compensating for less ground clearance. I was just seeing if there is anything I was missing for more of a lift. I feel like pucks give height but don't really help with performance. I'm not looking for just looks. I was hoping all I need is coils and shocks to accomplish this. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by harley97
I have the adjustable JKS swaybar links already, only have stock Rubicon skids for now. Picking better lines isn't always an option. I do pretty well on the trails and have gotten pretty good at compensating for less ground clearance. I was just seeing if there is anything I was missing for more of a lift. I feel like pucks give height but don't really help with performance. I'm not looking for just looks. I was hoping all I need is coils and shocks to accomplish this. Thanks for the advice.
Well, you can add taller springs for what you're asking but I really think Dirtman's point is that if you're not going with bigger tires, then you're only gaining about 1-2in of additional belly clearance if that and are all those rocks you're getting hung up on, going to fit into that 1-2in of additional belly clearance?

Another thing to consider. There is a tipping point on the amount of lift you add to a JK where the return on investment doesn't make much sense once you go over that tipping point, especially if you're not going to go with larger tires as you stated. That tipping point seems to be around 3.5in of lift. Once you start going over that, now you're looking at replacing all 8 control arms, you'll need steering correction such as adding a high steer kit, with drag link flip and new brake lines, as well as needing additional caster adjustment. Most importantly, after you've done all that you haven't even raised the lowest hanging parts under your rig which are the pumpkins of the axles. So does adding more lift really solve your problem? It would seem odd if it does, since you haven't raised the lowest hanging parts where it would seem picking better lines would be able to achieve the same results.

Essentially, it seems by your response that you're not hearing the answers you would like to hear because you are receiving honest and truthful advise because you seem to be trying to solve the problem you described incorrectly by thinking adding more lift is going to solve that problem.

It may be better to describe where you seem to be getting hung up on most often.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-23-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I was in the middle of a response but Redroll nailed it.
Not sure what you are talking about "performance" with your coil spacer vs longer coil. Only thing I can think of is compressed and extended length of the system which with a 1" puck would be minimal and not be an issue unless you were trying to squeeze every bit of use to fit a specific shock.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

I already have all 8 adjustable control arms. I do plan to go up to 37" tires eventually, just not while it's a daily driver. I dont get hung up on the pumpkins, usually just on the frame and skid plates. I'm just looking for different opinions, nothing more nothing less. I appreciate everyone's input. The ultimate goal is to get the belly up higher. I know this can be done with tires or lift, but with everything I've already bought and installed, I only need coils, shocks and brake lines. I think 3.5" would be about right. As for performance with a coil spacer, they will give extra height but it's more for a look from what I understand. I wheel often and am not looking for just a look. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by harley97
with everything I've already bought and installed, I only need coils, shocks and brake lines. I think 3.5" would be about right.
Front DS (don't see it listed in profile) and a high steer kit most likely as well, on top of reassessing bumpstops. Add that extra 1.5" lift (probably net even more), and you'll probably also want to extend those rear arms again, pushing the axle back (extending wheelbase) in order to situate the tire more in the wheel well. At some point, you move it back enough that your rear upper control arms (frameside mount) interfere with the rear sway bar links, so you relocate the sway bar back an inch, but then it interferes with the muffler, so you start looking at modding the exhaust. Your rear springs will start to bow since the axle spring perches don't align with the body mounts, so you'll either have to re position the perches, or use some wedges to help.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but these are real things to think about. It's seldom as simple as adding new springs, shocks, and brake lines.

My point above about adding 1" spacer is you gain exactly an inch over what you currently have (no guess work what actual net lift will be), stay under the threshold where high steer kits come in to play, might be able to get by on the current shocks, and might get a little more life out of your front DS. All for what, $60-$80 vs. several hundred? Also, for that several hundred bucks, you're only increasing performance a marginal bit. One thing to think about is you could spend $80, try it.......don't like it, then just sell those spacers as they are always in demand. It might get you buy while the jeep is still a DD, then when it becomes a toy go hog wild. I can tell you that you can still get high centered with 3.5" and 37s

Best of luck with whatever direction you decide to go in.

Quick Reply: upgrading lift