Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poison Spyder Flare Fit Issue

Old 05-09-2019, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Poison Spyder Flare Fit Issue

A fellow club member asked me to help him install a new set of Poison Spyder aluminum flares. When we set the rears up into position we discovered a wide gap, maybe 3/8", at the arch at the front of the wheelhouse. Same on both sides. It's very doubtful this will close up much, if at all, when the flares are tightened down, and over torquing will spin the rivnuts. Anyone else with the PSC flares encounter this issue?

Old 05-09-2019, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My steel ones weren't that bad, but the fit does leave some to be desired for the cost. The factory sheet metal is super thin, and will flex out (or in) to meet the PS fenders. Tighten them down slowly, and if they get too tight move on the the next bolt. Working back and forth should pull them together.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
My steel ones weren't that bad, but the fit does leave some to be desired for the cost. The factory sheet metal is super thin, and will flex out (or in) to meet the PS fenders. Tighten them down slowly, and if they get too tight move on the the next bolt. Working back and forth should pull them together.
Were you able to get that gap closed up?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, mine closed up tight, but I didn't start with that large of a gap either. If you look in the right light, you can see where the thin factory sheet metal flexed to meet the heavy PS flares.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

He talked with Poison Spyder again and they've convinced him to give it a try. We'll see how this goes. There's nothing tricky about where those have to seat on the body, not sure why PSC has an issue here.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

He changed his mind, not going to risk it. I agree, the gap is so wide there's to my mind a significant risk the rivnuts will break loose. He's using my rivnuts tool so I'm confident he can get them installed right.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My thing is, if im spending around $1k for fenders they should fit perfect the first time. There shouldent be a gap, but i dont own these and its not my fight, just my 2 cents
The following users liked this post:
GrumpyFinn (08-15-2022)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive installed PSC flares on both my JKs. The thin factory sheet metal will pull into shape.

Quit overthinking it and install them, or bring them to an installer with a set of balls.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

His concern is the gap won't close enough and if he leans on the bolts too much the rivnuts will spin.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just said the factory sheet metal will pull into the contour of the fender. if you're scared just bring it to a pro.

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Flare Fit Issue