Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm delay circuit wiring for manual key unlock?

Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Alarm delay circuit wiring for manual key unlock?

Im looking for help or suggestions for wiring in a time delay circuit into the alarm in my driver door.

Im a bit old school, I want to be able to hit the auto lock button on the inside of my drivers door as i exit, to lock all the doors up. And then i want to unlock it with my key. The way I’ve operated in all my previous cars.

The problem is the jk alarm, as even some brief reading will tell you. The interior door lock button sets the alarm. There are only two things that can disable the alarm.
1) the keyless entry remote.
2) inserting a valid transmitter key into the ignition.

What I’m looking to do is put a signal delay relay into the driver door alarm circuit, such that I can unlock manually, and have time to get my key into the ignition before the alarm goes off. In this way, it’s still alarmed and I can use my manual key.
I’ve gotten pretty fast, at getting the key into the ignition. If I prepare myself correctly I can get the key into the ignition in only 2 honks. But that’s two honks too much for the neighbors when it’s 2am. Lol

Anyone have any incite as to what wire I should be tapping into? Where would the the best place to tap into that wire be?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts
Exclamation

I get what you're trying to accomplish, but I'd suggest just learning to use the remote as designed.

Stuff like this is probably one of those "if you have to ask, you're probably in over your head" things. Recently had to put a bunch of modified wiring back to stock on a relatives rig to fix both a battery drain + crank-no-start problem that frustrated the owner for quite a long time.

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-17-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t need help with the delay circuit. I was hoping to find someone who has a knowledge of where that alarm wire actually runs in the vehicle, and maybe a decent wiring diagram.

I’ve spent the last year and a half trying to learn to use the remote, and it still bugs me every day. If it wasn’t such an irritant, I wouldn’t bother wasting my valuable time.

I’m going to end up doing it even if i don’t get any help. I was just hoping to save myself some time fiddling around with test leads, and unnecessarily tearing apart wiring in my exploratory effort.

P.S.
I’ve got a mechanical engineering degree, and I periodically troubleshoot wiring in $200k control systems far more complex than Jeep wiring. So you should probably gather a little more information before dismissing someone’s abilities.

Based on the responses so far it looks like I shouldn’t have even bothered asking.

Last edited by Zxkn; 05-20-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Alarm delay circuit wiring for manual key unlock?