Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rearview backup cams for OEM radios?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Rearview backup cams for OEM radios?

I'm starting to look into adding a rear view backup cam to my 2009 JKU's 730N radio since the J-Scan app seems to allow you to enable that functionality.

I'm interested in hearing feedback from anyone who has done similar for 430 or 730 radios.

Which cam did you get?
Where did you mount it?
How's the quality?
How did the wiring go and how's it look?
Any functional problems?

I would prefer to not mount the cam in the rear spare tire area, unless it doesn't involve removing the cam to take off the spare. So license frame mount or other areas? I also would prefer to not have any exposed wires showing as well.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Harbor Freight doesn't offer anything?

I've got backup cameras in all but one of my vehicles and it's weird backing that thing up using mirrors alone. They are very nice on the trail with the Jeep. I don't have the factory head unit, but something along these lines would work:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/brand-mo...ep-wrangler-jk

I've got a plate mount on mine, in the middle of the tire, so I'd have to do some unwiring if I couldn't plug a tire and get it home. The system this one offers looks to be a better design as it sits behind the spare, so the wiring could remain intact in the event you needed to pop the spare off.

I don't know where else you'd be able to mount it that would give you the utility of having it up high and in the center, like you have with the spare mount.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Slightly off-topic but which OBD transmitter do you use? I just ordered the 16 dollar BT vgate (Icar 2 bluetooth 3) one from amazon and am really hoping for the best with it. So many of the models look the same
Old 05-22-2019, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer a centrally mounted camera so the view is accurate. I mounted ours on a piece of aluminum bolted to the spare tire carrier, sticking through the wheel slightly. cabling is out of sight as it is behind the spare. It does make getting the spare off and on a pain as you have to get the spokes lined up to clear the camera and lift it over the camera. I got a cheap camera from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPDNYGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm sure others will do as well.

Wiring is not a big deal - route it alongside the existing tailgate wiring, removing a couple of panels in the back, then under the rug to the front, pull the radio and feed the wire up to it.

The view through the radio ('16 JKUR, which GPS radio that is) is great, looks stock. You do need a converter plug - here is the one I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYSMB7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For JScan, I use the VGate iCar2 bluetooth code reader from Amazon.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JKForums
Awesome, thank you. That is the one I ordered and it SHOULD be in today. SO excited to get rid of the TPMS light and actually have a correct speedometer for the first time in close to 7 years
Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by JKForums
I prefer a centrally mounted camera so the view is accurate. I mounted ours on a piece of aluminum bolted to the spare tire carrier, sticking through the wheel slightly. cabling is out of sight as it is behind the spare. It does make getting the spare off and on a pain as you have to get the spokes lined up to clear the camera and lift it over the camera. I got a cheap camera from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPDNYGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm sure others will do as well.

Wiring is not a big deal - route it alongside the existing tailgate wiring, removing a couple of panels in the back, then under the rug to the front, pull the radio and feed the wire up to it.

The view through the radio ('16 JKUR, which GPS radio that is) is great, looks stock. You do need a converter plug - here is the one I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYSMB7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've been looking at similar style cams since I feel I may be able to mount a cam like that on the license plate frame.

Does that cam work good at night? I noticed there's cams with infared LEDs around the lens and then the ones without like you have. I was thinking I likely needed one with the infared LEDs for better night viewing but I could be wrong.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I've been looking at similar style cams since I feel I may be able to mount a cam like that on the license plate frame.

Does that cam work good at night? I noticed there's cams with infared LEDs around the lens and then the ones without like you have. I was thinking I likely needed one with the infared LEDs for better night viewing but I could be wrong.
It works fairly well. It goes to a grey mode at night that looks about like IR. I can see pretty well with only the lousy backup lights. I have some cubes to cut into the rear bumper that will make it like daylight but don't have those in yet.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered from Quadratech tonight. I've been wanting a back up camera for my 2016 Rubicon with Nav Radio since I bought it last year....
I'm calling it my Father's Day Present to myself.

I've watched several YouTube how-to videos and it appears pretty straight forward.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We recently did a front and rear camera set-up from BrandMotion that was a plug and play into the Mopar 430N AV unit.

They have quite a few different camera set-ups: https://www.northridge4x4.com/brand/brandmotion

Here's the install write-up from a couple weeks ago: Front and Rear Camera For Your JK

Old 01-09-2021, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camera mounting issue

I started to install a back up camera to on my 15 JKU. I have 35x12.5 tires. I use a spacer on my spare which allows the tire to just rub the bumper and clear the third brake light. The spacer changes the bolt pattern placement so the camera won’t show through the slot in the rim. I have black Willies rims. Guessing I’ll have to fabricate something? Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by amartin; 01-09-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Rearview backup cams for OEM radios?