Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Serpentine Belt jumping and very loud clicking noise

Old 05-18-2019, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt jumping and very loud clicking noise

Hello, I have a 2008 Wrangler Sahara and I have a very loud clicking noise that is occurring in the front part of the engine. I thought it was the power steering pump that was the cause because there was a what I thought an unusual amount of play or a bit of a wobble in the pulley shaft when I manually turned the pulley. Turns out after I replaced the power steering pump that was not the cause. Also, the if I watch the belt tensioner (which I have also replaced as I thought it might be a bad bearing), it is flexing quite a bit in sync with the clicking noise. Also, the belt works it way off outward on both the power steering pulley and the pulley located next to the alternator. I am on my second belt tensioner and belt since I thought the tension was defective. If I remove the belt completely, the noise is gone. When I reinstall the belt, the noise immediately returns. Maybe one of the impellers in the water pump broke off and is rattling around? I haven't had any over heating problems, but then again I am not driving it around since this rattling/clicking noise started. Any thoughts on what else could be the cause?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Latest update. I just pulled the water pump and there is no visible damage, although if I shake the water pump aggressively in my hands, there is what I describe as a slight rattle. Wondering if under load and spinning at high RPM a bearing is trashed. I've ordered a new one and waiting for it arrive to install later this afternoon.Will update when I know more.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks for the update. Have you taken a mechanic's stethoscope to the area by the various pulleys (not directly on a spinning pulley, of course)? Sometimes they can be surprise with a quick answer to the problem.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

So it turned out to be that the harmonic balancer worked its way forward off the crank by almost a half inch. So the belt was out of alignment causing the jump and the loud clicking noise. You'd swear I blew a bearing somewhere based on the noise, threw me off as I had no idea a belt could make that kind of noise similar to metal clanking/clicking noise, but it did. Lesson learned.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (05-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt jumping and very loud clicking noise