Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

RES Stereo Upgrade

Old 06-01-2019, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RES Stereo Upgrade

I am coming up with so many mixed results in my searches. I have a baseline RES in an 08 JK. No uConnect, no hands free, no sat, no wheel controls. Am replacing with a pioneer unit and none of my local shops have a wiring harness adapter. Do I need a 60 dollar CANBUS interface crap or can I just cut my current harness and splice?

Please send help
Old 06-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I wish I had kept that harness I had, but it was the basic harness from Crutchfield. Put in your info and they'll let you know what pieces you need to make it work.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.amazon.com/Install-ICCR6BN-Chrysler-Complete-Installation/dp/B01N0B1376/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wrangler+radio+harness&qid=1559441013&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Wife ordered this as a knee-jerk. Should work right?
Old 06-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That is what my "harness" looked like. There's a second piece that, I think, kept the feature where the radio plays for a short while after you turn it off- but I could be wrong on that function.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks karls! As long as that piece isnt a must to make it work then I dont care
Old 06-03-2019, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well eff. installed the new head unit with that adapter, it immediately popped a cap and started smoking. There went that...

What is the harness under the dash plate btw? it's empty/unused

Last edited by BoredKender; 06-03-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can check out my build thread for some in depth resources about the stereo situation for a base line system - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-g...ubicon-349851/

You're talking about a completely base system (I DID have steering wheel controls but no bluetooth or nav) so that might be slightly different, however, if you can verify the factory amp just above the driver kick panel I'd imagine you'd need the can-bus harness due to the connection type between the radio and amp. The actual head unit does NOTHING to control sound, it's all handled at the amp, the head unit just acts as a controller so to speak.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekyTechyCool
You can check out my build thread for some in depth resources about the stereo situation for a base line system - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-g...ubicon-349851/

You're talking about a completely base system (I DID have steering wheel controls but no bluetooth or nav) so that might be slightly different, however, if you can verify the factory amp just above the driver kick panel I'd imagine you'd need the can-bus harness due to the connection type between the radio and amp. The actual head unit does NOTHING to control sound, it's all handled at the amp, the head unit just acts as a controller so to speak.
I thought that amp was only a thing for the infinity sound?

I am on the brink of giving up because I am fairly sure the replacement head is shot. It popped and smoked from the black chip that is covered by the heatsink... and now it pops the main radio fuse in the cluster under the hood

-edit- confirmed no factory amp or sub

Last edited by BoredKender; 06-04-2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Follow up
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoredKender
I thought that amp was only a thing for the infinity sound?

I am on the brink of giving up because I am fairly sure the replacement head is shot. It popped and smoked from the black chip that is covered by the heatsink... and now it pops the main radio fuse in the cluster under the hood

-edit- confirmed no factory amp or sub
With no amp you're dealing with a pretty straight forward install. It sounds like a positive and negative wire got crossed during the install somewhere, if you saw smoke and now all it does is trip the fuse than it's shorting out.

Can you post a photo of the "black chip that is covered by the heatsink" ?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Took it all apart, there was what appeared to be a bunch of pet hair under the board, so that could have been shorting it out. The black chip was the IC that controlls speaker outputs. Either way it's in my spare parts bin now though. Bought it used so not out too much money, just a little annoyed. There weren't too many wires on the harness to actually be able to screw up on an epic level like that, and they all had pretty clearly printed on them what went to what so there was no real need for guess and check.

I assume the previous owner had some issues with it since it had a 30A fuse plugged in and only calls for a 10A. Another small IC looked like it had melted so I couldnt read the chipset information. Only out 80 bucks so while it sucks it's still not quite a kick to the nuts

Quick Reply: RES Stereo Upgrade