Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OBD2 enhanced code scanners - Appcar DiagFCA, BlueDriver, Jscan, AlfaOBD, etc.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb OBD2 enhanced code scanners - Appcar DiagFCA, BlueDriver, Jscan, AlfaOBD, etc.

Here's my quick take on some inexpensive OBD2 scanners that can talk to all the modules, get the "enhanced" OEM codes, and do some trend charting as well. Enhanced codes for the JK used to be the territory of high priced scanners, it's great to have more options!

Appcar DiagFCA
This is my favorite. It's a Windows program, has installed or non-installed versions (I used the non-installed). Scans all the modules quickly, prints reports for all the modules with config data, or DTC information. Individual modules can be scanned as well, lots of readable configuration information plus any DTC's. What makes it stand out are the I/O tests and programming routines, including all the usual stuff like tire size, TPMS alert pressure, gear and T-case ratios, and daytime running lights. But there's a boat load more like the voltage for low beam headlamps that I adjusted from 13.0 to 13.2 and the TPMS hysteresis (deadband) that I reduced from 5 to 3 PSI. I also tested some benign (on a manual trans) changes like axle and high T-case ratios Another thing I like is the way it reads the current values, and displays them before any input, plus lots of warning before the change is written to the module. Very comforting to see the old value to make sure the units of measurement, etc. are correct.

It's $49 for one VIN, it's VIN locked, and there's different pricing for multiple or unlimited VINs. Windows may be a deal killer for some, but if you already have a laptop it sure is nicer to have a decent screen and keyboard -- especially when writing changes to a module where a tablet/phone swipe turns into a tap. A hardware OBD scanner must also be purchased, both the OBDlink MX+ and VeePeak BLE+ worked for me.

BlueDriver
This is my favorite if you can buy only one device to diagnose a bunch of cars from different manufacturers. It's also the most expensive at $99, but that includes the BlueTooth scanner hardware so it could actually be less expensive depending on what one already has. Their business model is sell the hardware, give the software away. The downside is that the BlueDriver hardware only works with their software and vice-versa, the upside is that it's going to work without the compatibility issues common with generic ELM based OBD2 scanners. It's Android or IOS. There are no programming features like there are with DiagFCA, but there's no VIN lock and it works with a lot or vehicles. It appears to scan all modules, but it doesn't report about a module unless there's a DTC -- Which I'd prefer. There also is a database of likely fixes and DTC information.

Jscan
Free version and paid version VIN locked for full features. Android and IOS. In addition to reading codes from all modules, it has the most common programming stuff like tire size, TPMS alert pressure, gear ratios, etc. I did notice one potential bug with TPMS where it listed different front and rear settings despite this system not being capable of knowing what axle a particular sensor is on. From looking at the numbers and comparing with DiagFCA, I think that one setting (37 PSI) was actually the factory placard setting and the other was the alert PSI for one of the axles (25 PSI in my case, both axles should be set the same). Tire size is in 1/4" increments of the rolling diameter, where as DiagFCA uses at least a couple decimal points and is based on the rolling circumference (3.14 times the resolution of the diameter). Neither is a big issue, but working on a small screen where a wrong swipe turned tap may fubar a module stresses me out a bit. A hardware OBD scanner must also be purchased, both the OBDlink MX+ and VeePeak BLE+ worked for me.

AlfaOBD
Even though the website is not up to date with the "C" in FCA, there's a lot in this program that runs on Windows, Android, and IOS. The website not being up to date makes me nervous about writing data to modules, but it's popular in the Ram Truck forums. No VIN lock, use it on as many vehicles as you like. A hardware OBD scanner must also be purchased, the OBDlink MX+ worked, but the VeePeak BLE+ did not. The scans are done on a module by module basis only, and one has to pick the correct module from a list (that includes inapplicable items). There's a lot of programming and test options, even an ABS brake bleed was listed! However, it doesn't appear to display the current value of parameters before writing the new value.

Testing was with my 2008 JK, and all above correctly found a U0100 stored code (Lost Communication With ECM/PCM) in the TIPM, which was likely from normal maintenance (disconnecting & connecting battery ground). Other scanners that can't read enhanced codes in all modules could not find this code.

Feel free to add more OBD2 related software and hardware info to this thread...

05/08/2020 Update: Mentioned above is the OBDlink MX+, which is a hardware scanner device that plugs into the OBDII port. It's compatible with the standard ELM327 command set, but with update-able firmware, and also includes OBDII apps for Windows, Android, and IOS. Except for Blue Driver and HP Tuners, virtually all OBDII apps use this type of hardware device as the interface between the computer/smartphone/tablet and the vehicle's OBD port. The OBDlink company is in Arizona and they regularly update both the firmware and software. For the firmware updates, the easiest way is using the OBDlink app on a smartphone, but there's also a download for Windows at ScanTool.net. If there's trouble with an app after updating it, Windows, Android, or IOS, the first thing I'd try is updating the firmware -- It's worked for me!

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-08-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Typo, spelling, more detail...
The following users liked this post:
JerryD (08-21-2020)
Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Thanks for writing up these overall highlight reviews of each scanner.
Originally Posted by Mr.T

BlueDriver
This is my favorite if you can buy only one device to diagnose a bunch of cars from different manufacturers. It's also the most expensive at $99, but that includes the BlueTooth scanner hardware so it could actually be less expensive depending on what one already has. Their business model is sell the hardware, give the software away. The downside is that the BlueDriver hardware only works with their software and vice-versa, the upside is that it's going to work without the compatibility issues common with generic ELM based OBD2 scanners. It's Android or IOS. There are no programming features like there are with DiagFCA, but there's no VIN lock and it works with a lot or vehicles. It appears to scan all modules, but it doesn't report about a module unless there's a DTC -- Which I'd prefer. There also is a database of likely fixes and DTC information.
I know I've been kind of a fanboy in regards to the BlueDriver. One recent disappointment I ran into is that the BlueDriver does not seem to have a Trans Temp PID monitoring for our JKs and there's no way to manually enter PIDs.

These are the resported supported live monitoring PIDs from BlueDriver on my 2009 JKU Automatic. Note, nothing about trans temp.

Jscan
Free version and paid version VIN locked for full features. Android and IOS. In addition to reading codes from all modules, it has the most common programming stuff like tire size, TPMS alert pressure, gear ratios, etc. I did notice one potential bug with TPMS where it listed front and rear settings despite there only being one setting for all wheels. From looking at the numbers, I think that one setting (37 PSI) was actually the factory placard setting in the TIPM and the other was the alert PSI for all wheels (25 PSI in my case). Tire size is in 1/4" increments of the rolling diameter, where as DiagFCA uses at least a couple decimal points and is based on the rolling circumference (3.14 times the resolution of the diameter). Neither is a big issue, but working on a small screen where a wrong swipe turned tap may fubar a module stresses me out a bit. A hardware OBD scanner must also be purchased, both the OBDlink MX+ and VeePeak BLE+ worked for me.
Jscan is the next OBD scanner I'm currently looking into purchase because it has the programming capabilities. I mostly want it so I can enable the backup cam functionality and then connect a rear backup cam to my 730N head unit. I was wondering if this has the ability to read trans temp as well?

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks for writing up these overall highlight reviews of each scanner. <snip>
Jscan is the next OBD scanner I'm currently looking into purchase because it has the programming capabilities. I mostly want it so I can enable the backup cam functionality and then connect a rear backup cam to my 730N head unit. I was wondering if this has the ability to read trans temp as well? </snip>
Yep, I see trans temperature on the Jscan. I think you'll like it -- It's nice having multiple scanner tools, they all have their strong points. Even the high-end professional stuff has bugs/errors, so it's nice to be able to compare with different tools. All have unlimited updates, and having both Win and Android is convenient too. Bottom line though, I'm a tool junky...

Edit: The OBDlink MX+ is what I'd recommend hardware wise. Appears to be the most compatible and has some unique features for Ford/GM in case that matters. Also, might be worth it to contact BlueDriver and see if they'll add that PID.

Last edited by Mr.T; 06-08-2019 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rednroll (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Edit: The OBDlink MX+ is what I'd recommend hardware wise. Appears to be the most compatible and has some unique features for Ford/GM in case that matters. Also, might be worth it to contact BlueDriver and see if they'll add that PID.

Thanks! I purchased some inexpensive V-Tech OBD2 wifi dongle to use with Torque Pro. I'll get the JScan app, try it out with that dongle and then look into getting the OBDlink MX+ if the V-tech doesn't work.

Someone from BlueDriver responded to a similar item, I may try this route.
Originally Posted by BlueDriver
Hello! If you contact support through the app by going to 'more', 'contact us', and 'email' they will be happy to help!

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-09-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

I got JScan today, purchased the $20.99 single license but so far I'm not finding where I can monitor trans temp.

When I type "trans" into live PID search, this is what I'm seeing.

Any ideas of how to get trans temp with this app?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

I think it was on the "trail dash", with a setting screen to display it or not.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

I think I've got this finally figured out. I'm starting to come up to speed on JScan. 1st off I didn't realize when searching for a particular live data PID, you had to 1st select the module in Jscan. I'm not really liking that, unless there's a way to search all modules simultaneously that I just haven't figured out yet.

I originally thought I needed to do something special based off your last response. When you mentioned "Trail Dash", my mind jumped to the SuperChips Trail Dash, where I had thought you meant you had to somehow enable some type of programming to enable the trans temp to be available.

However, I played around with Torque Pro and followed the instructions Mark Doiron provided on how to enable trans temp live data in Torque Pro. That worked out perfectly.

Which then got me back to searching around for it in Jscan, and then that's when the "Trail Dash" button caught my attention and it dawned on me what you were actually talking about.
So yeah, I found the Trans Temp setting hidden in the Trail Dash settings section.

It seems kind of odd that the Trans temp does not seem to be available in Jscan's Live data section. I thought I had found it in the PowerTrain module, but not so much. Not much sense I can make of a "Trans Temp Voltage", or a display of "Calculate Trans oil temp", where I was thinking that may display the temp based off of the voltage but it just shows "True".

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-18-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Red, do you have TPMS enabled on your Jeep?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Red, do you have TPMS enabled on your Jeep?
I turned that off with the SC Flash Cal. No sensors currently installed in tires.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mmmm- good thread to bring back up T. I bought the Jscan for my 2010 and girlfriend's 2016 and it works pretty well as compared to the Superchips 3875 I've been using for 9 years now. I was able to set up DRL's and disable the seatbelt chime with it but digging further into the data requires more time. With the TOB job this weekend, I anticipate using the scanner to ensure everything goes back together nicely (last time I killed an o2 sensor by stretching it too far).

Quick Reply: OBD2 enhanced code scanners - Appcar DiagFCA, BlueDriver, Jscan, AlfaOBD, etc.