Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Geeky Gecko Kind of Build

Old 06-14-2019, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Geeky Gecko Kind of Build

Well the itch has started. I’m gonna admit, after having built two JK’s already, it took me a solid 27 hours more than normal to buy anything for this one. I’m looking forward to building this guy over time, but it’ll definitely be over time and not crammed into a shorter time span. With that being said, I went ahead and ordered a JKS 2.5” kit today. Nothing fancy and nothing big. Plain Jane shocks for now because when I go big later, that’ll include fancying up the shocks. Haven’t decided on a tire and wheel combination yet, but I imagine the wheels will be a 17” AEV Pintler. Feel free to drop some suggestions on a good 35x1250x17.
I ordered some rock lights, my 67 Designs phone mount, some grab bars for the pillars, and picked up a safari straps roof net system from a cool member here.
Of course I plan on laying my own little personal touches on her over time, will just have to see how creative and in depth I wanna go with this thing. Having a four year old princess makes it harder to desire going big over time, but I’m sure it’ll come eventually.
I know what you’re thinking - cmon Sam a “build thread” with no pictures, that’s so boring and lame. You’re right. I’ll get some up ASAP.

Chime in after with suggestions and feedback. I welcome the roasts as much as the good.

Last edited by JacKed 8; 06-14-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The AEV Pintler have a 5.2 BS, you will need 4.5" BS for a 35"x12.5" tire. Quadratec has a very similar looking wheel with a 4.75" BS that might work depednign on the true size of the tire for about $100 less per wheel. As far as tires it will depend on what you are planning doing with the jeep. For a good all around tire I would look at the Goodyear Duratrac or the BFG KM3 "C" rated and make sure if you get these to rotate often. If mainly a a pavement pounder then something less aggressive and soft to get the mileage out of them.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Thanks man. I ran the pintlers on my old JKUS but that was on a 4” Teraflex. You think I’ll have too much rubbing with that backspace on the 2.5”? I haven’t ever run a lift this small so I appreciate the help and suggestions!

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The AEV Pintler have a 5.2 BS, you will need 4.5" BS for a 35"x12.5" tire. Quadratec has a very similar looking wheel with a 4.75" BS that might work depednign on the true size of the tire for about $100 less per wheel. As far as tires it will depend on what you are planning doing with the jeep. For a good all around tire I would look at the Goodyear Duratrac or the BFG KM3 "C" rated and make sure if you get these to rotate often. If mainly a a pavement pounder then something less aggressive and soft to get the mileage out of them.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

the amount of lift really does not have anything to do with tires rubbing. A properly set up 4" lift with 35x12.5" tires will rub just the same as a 2.5" lift.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

You're gonna have to school me on it this then lol - what am I missing. I thought the kit said a BS of at least 4.5. I might not properly understand the science of why 5.2 would be bad.

the amount of lift really does not have anything to do with tires rubbing. A properly set up 4" lift with 35x12.5" tires will rub just the same as a 2.5" lift.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I thought you said you had experience building jeeps? This is pretty basic. A tire with more height or more width will need to be pushed out from the frame as not to rub at full steering. Most of the factory tires are roughly 32" x 10.5-11"" wide. Moving to a 35"x12.5" tire gets you 1.5" (height) plus 1" (width) on half the wheel. So you need roughly 2.5" more clearace to the frame and 1.5" to the fenders. The lift will give you the clearance to the fenders but not the frame. The factory wheel has 6.25" of back spacing and you have about 1/2"-1" of extra clearance to the frame with the factory wheels and tires. Lifts also typically add shock travel that will allow the stuffed wheel to move farther into the wheel well while the other wheel is fully drooped and this will require more clearance and a wheel with less back spacing to push it out farther.

I wish lift companies would not put the "recommended or required" wheel back spacing in their specs as it has to do with tires and not the lift height. If you lift and reinstall the factory wheels and tires you would be fine and not need the 4.5" bs. And when combines say at least 4.5" bs they mean 4.5" or less not more.
With a 4" lift you might not rub with a 35"x12.5" tire if you added too much bump stop which limits the travel and how much a wheel will stuff into the wheel well. 4" lifts typically give you 3-4" of bump stop which is way more then needed to run a 35" tire. This will keep the frame up above the tires and prevent you from rubbing.

The Pintlerr wheels you are looking at are sized for a 33x12.5" tire with the 5.2" BS.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

I ran 37x13.50x17 on pintlers on my 08. Didn’t have any issues.

I thought you said you had experience building jeeps? This is pretty basic. A tire with more height or more width will need to be pushed out from the frame as not to rub at full steering. Most of the factory tires are roughly 32" x 10.5-11"" wide. Moving to a 35"x12.5" tire gets you 1.5" (height) plus 1" (width) on half the wheel. So you need roughly 2.5" more clearace to the frame and 1.5" to the fenders. The lift will give you the clearance to the fenders but not the frame. The factory wheel has 6.25" of back spacing and you have about 1/2"-1" of extra clearance to the frame with the factory wheels and tires. Lifts also typically add shock travel that will allow the stuffed wheel to move farther into the wheel well while the other wheel is fully drooped and this will require more clearance and a wheel with less back spacing to push it out farther.

I wish lift companies would not put the "recommended or required" wheel back spacing in their specs as it has to do with tires and not the lift height. If you lift and reinstall the factory wheels and tires you would be fine and not need the 4.5" bs. And when combines say at least 4.5" bs they mean 4.5" or less not more.
With a 4" lift you might not rub with a 35"x12.5" tire if you added too much bump stop which limits the travel and how much a wheel will stuff into the wheel well. 4" lifts typically give you 3-4" of bump stop which is way more then needed to run a 35" tire. This will keep the frame up above the tires and prevent you from rubbing.

The Pintlerr wheels you are looking at are sized for a 33x12.5" tire with the 5.2" BS.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that the Pintler used to be offered in 4.7" bs as well as the 5.2" bs. I've got the beadlock ones and still run wheel spacers to keep from rubbing, I suppose I have the 5.2" bs wheels but it didn't make any difference to me.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You must have been running wheel adapters to run a 37x13.5 tire with those wheels or you had a suspension that was totally messed up.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Wasn't running wheel adapters. Nor was my suspension messed up. Actually drove quite nicely and wheeled pretty decently too.

Last edited by JacKed 8; 06-15-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Geeky Gecko Kind of Build