Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

60k Service Question

Old 06-16-2019, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60k Service Question

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the mechanical side of things.

I'm set for my 60k service and I know my dealer is going to give me a list the length of a cvs reciept for what they want me to get done. Now, I read the owners manual and know what it says I should do, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should get done? Or are there things I don't need to get done that the manual says I do?

I have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. I don't tow or off road. I only drive it 1-2 a week since I take a bus to work. It's a manual transmission.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All you need is front and rear diff service, tcase service, filters, oil change, rotate...... Coolant and trans is not needed until 150k, tune up is due at 100k, but they will try to hit you for all the snake juice you could handle.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Unless you have to do the service to maintain a warranty, not worthwhile for the cost IMO. it takes 10 mins to change gear oil in an axle, and not much longer to change the ATF in the transfer case, although a just a touch less convenient. Pretty sure you probably stay on top of oil changes, and anyone can pop a new air filter in there from time to time. I'm not saying things don't need to be done, but the prices I've seen people report dealers charge for things like axle fluid change are redonk. You can't grease factory steering components, and they have a tendency to let you know when they are shot, so any "inspection" won't lead to much.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If you can, do the work yourself. If you can't, find a mechanic you trust and have him do the work. Quick oil change places can often do all of the work for these periodic checkups, and they're cheaper. If for some reason you feel obligated to the dealer (it's not necessary for warranty purposes), write down what you want the dealer to do on a list. Not, "60,000 mile checkup", because he'll take that as carte blanche to do everything under the sun. Write down, "Change engine oil, rotate tires ...", or whatever is needed. Say that's what you want, and nothing else. I would recommend have them check the brakes, especially the rear brake pads. If they are original, they are likely worn. In fact, you may have run them down so far that the disks need replacement.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If you can, do the work yourself. If you can't, find a mechanic you trust and have him do the work. Quick oil change places can often do all of the work for these periodic checkups, and they're cheaper. If for some reason you feel obligated to the dealer (it's not necessary for warranty purposes), write down what you want the dealer to do on a list. Not, "60,000 mile checkup", because he'll take that as carte blanche to do everything under the sun. Write down, "Change engine oil, rotate tires ...", or whatever is needed. Say that's what you want, and nothing else. I would recommend have them check the brakes, especially the rear brake pads. If they are original, they are likely worn. In fact, you may have run them down so far that the disks need replacement.

Just changed the brakes recently so we're all good there. I'll definitely makes a list per the recommendations above.

Last edited by anon1mous; 06-18-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Unless you have to do the service to maintain a warranty, not worthwhile for the cost IMO. it takes 10 mins to change gear oil in an axle, and not much longer to change the ATF in the transfer case, although a just a touch less convenient. Pretty sure you probably stay on top of oil changes, and anyone can pop a new air filter in there from time to time. I'm not saying things don't need to be done, but the prices I've seen people report dealers charge for things like axle fluid change are redonk. You can't grease factory steering components, and they have a tendency to let you know when they are shot, so any "inspection" won't lead to much.
I live in an apartment so not really convenient to do the work myself, and I really haven't found any Jeep oriented shops in my area that I'd go to. The dealer offers free oil changes, which is the only reason I still go there.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by anon1mous
I live in an apartment so not really convenient to do the work myself, and I really haven't found any Jeep oriented shops in my area that I'd go to. The dealer offers free oil changes, which is the only reason I still go there.
I hear ya. The "free oil change" comment reminds me of my buddy, who when he bought his rubi new back in 2014, negotiated in free oil changes. I always just shook my head when he'd talk about free oil changes at the dealer and how he was saving $60 a clip. I'd always say, and still do, I avoid dealers AT ALL COST. So we're up in Colorado one time and his jeep starts running like total Sheeeyat and throwing some codes. So bad that he locates a dealer and take it in since we're away from home. Come to find out, the entire intake boot wasn't really secured to the throttle body. The guy that did the oil change at the dealer removed to check air filter, put it back on, and never tightened it! We had done a ton of wheelin in dirty dusty conditions well before this mountain trip. No telling how much dirt that engine sucked in. I'd rather change my oil myself.

But, I understand your situation. That would suck working in an apartment's parking lot. From the sounds of how lightly used the jeep is, I'd be willing to push things off 10k miles or more, but that is just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

The dealer will try to rob you on the differential oil changes. As others have said, it is simple, actually as easy as changing oil. I think an independent shop would charge less than a dealer.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
The dealer will try to rob you on the differential oil changes. As others have said, it is simple, actually as easy as changing oil. I think an independent shop would charge less than a dealer.
Trust me, if I could find a shop that knows how to work on Jeeps and one that I could trust in my area (NNJ) I'd be totally happy and would ditch the dealer in a heartbeat.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer in Las Vegas charges $180 per axle for the diff fluid change. It is worth it to buy the pan and the tools and change it in a parking spot. there is a drian plug and a fill plug on the D44s not sure about the D30s

Quick Reply: 60k Service Question