Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need help identifying part

Old 06-17-2019, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help identifying part

What is the part called that covers the inner workings of the parking brake? It's the brush type thing that goes around the handle and is attached to the console. Mine popped off and looks to be broken.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I broke the retaining pieces on my girlfriend's 2016 and she's less than pleased with me but very happy the carpet is clean and cup holders aren't sticky anymore. I'm thinking of using the harbor height plastic welder to melt it back into place but haven't had time recently.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mpd2434
What is the part called that covers the inner workings of the parking brake? It's the brush type thing that goes around the handle and is attached to the console. Mine popped off and looks to be broken.
I would call it a brush seal. I don't see it listed separately from the console in the parts book.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Yea I couldn't find it either, kinds looks crappy without it seeing everything underneath.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I'd think there has to be some way to repair your old one if you still have it and it's just "broken". Hot glue, epoxy, something. Considering it's fairly superficial item, I wouldn't think it needs to be super durable. I can imagine it is indeed aggravating to see down in that slot. Probably nothing a passenger would care about, but something you notice every. single. time.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Epoxy didn't work for me, even when backed up with duck tape. It held for a couple days and then fell down again. I'm itching to try the plastic "welder" from HF. It's a soldering iron with a flat tip.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

My part is intact, it has metal tabs on the ends that look like they clip onto plastic tabs on the inside of the console. Problem is I think the plastic tabs are broken. It popped off while I was reinstalling the console and I didn't notice it until after it was back in. I really don't want to take the console out again since it was a real pain to get back in after fixing my parking brake lever. I wouldn't even mind finding a generic rubber boot to cover it.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

I ended up removing my console again, reattached the brush seal to the clips, glued and clamped it, then after it was dry I further reinforced it with gorilla tape over the ends wear the clips are. Hopefully all this will hold it.

Quick Reply: Need help identifying part