Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK Coolant/Antifreeze Fluid Capacity

Old 06-18-2019, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Coolant/Antifreeze Fluid Capacity

Hello group !!

Quick question for you, my owner manual/user guide JK 2011, says my engine coolant/antifreeze fluid capacity is 12 liters. Is this 12L included the filling of expansion tank to full ?! or 12L excluded the expansion tank itself..

Thanks !

Karl
Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

When I do a coolant flush which is draining the overfill tank, and pulling the lower hose the refill with my airlift is about 2 gallons total. I do one gallon of the concentrated mopar coolant and one gallon of distilled water. HOAT.
The following users liked this post:
karlos (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Unless you are completely rebuilding the cooling system, you are never going to see that perfectly stated capacity cuz you're highly unlikely to get all the coolant out of the block and heater core....so there's going to be remnant left in there. Even if you flush the entire thing out with distilled, you're still gonna have some distilled trapped in there that you can't drain out. If you're just trying to judge how much coolant you need to flush your system, just get 2 gallons of non-diluted, and a few gallons of distilled. Shoot for a 50/50 mixture.
The following users liked this post:
karlos (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed instruction from this page, this is a really good step by step procedure :https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/j...coolant-407878
I did like 12 flush to get almost only clear water !! that's a lot !! it only started to become clear around flush #10...!
After all flush, I've put almost 1.5 gallons hoat of concentrate coolant total, so around 1 gallon inside radiator exactly it's said on Step-5, and around 0.5 gallon in expansion tank.

Driver of that coolant flush is because 2 month ago I had issue with my heater core.. so I did the heater core swap myself as it's said by this post : https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...0-mins-336039/
I cut the old one, and cut the new one and and attached it with heater hose, and no leak at all since this time.

Thanks jk-forum users to share and make this information accessible for us!!

Karl
Old 06-21-2019, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

When I flushed mine out, it was a terribly frustrating experience. The petc0ck on our rads is terrible. I removed the lower hose to drain things quickly, but even then I couldn't believe how long the process was taking me. After several cycles, I finally pulled the upper hose off and poured distilled down through the block till everything ran clear. Ran it once to cycle what was in the heater core, and repeated. Just like anything else, it took way longer and was a larger pain in the azz than it should have been.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
When I flushed mine out, it was a terribly frustrating experience. The petc0ck on our rads is terrible. I removed the lower hose to drain things quickly, but even then I couldn't believe how long the process was taking me. After several cycles, I finally pulled the upper hose off and poured distilled down through the block till everything ran clear. Ran it once to cycle what was in the heater core, and repeated. Just like anything else, it took way longer and was a larger pain in the azz than it should have been.
I'm just gonna pull the lower hose and refill with new coolant every 6k and soon enough I'll have it completely flushed. Lol

Quick Reply: JK Coolant/Antifreeze Fluid Capacity