Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOPAR Hi Lift Jack Rack

Old 06-22-2019, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default MOPAR Hi Lift Jack Rack

Does anyone have any experience with the MOPAR Hi Lift Jack Rack that mounts to the factory Rear Door Hinges?
Part Number (158RR601) MOPAR Parts on Line Price: $85.03

My rear Bumper is the Premium Off Road Bumper Part Number 82212924 made by AEV.

I will probably be using my old Cherokee Classic Hi Lift Jack that I cut down to 39" to fit in the back of my Cherokee. I also have a full length 48" one if I need the length. I am sure the 39" one is a few pounds lighter.

So far my JK is a Rock Stock 2013 MOAB. No lift or big tires.

I know the correct answer would be to install the AEV Tire Carrier and Jack Rack that is made to fit my rear bumper. The down side to this option is the price, which is a hair over $1K for the combination.

Bob R
Old 06-23-2019, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

While looking over my Jack Mounting Options on the Extreme Terrain web site, I ran across the Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Jack Mounting Bracket. It looks identical to the MOPAR Bracket. Lots of mounted pictures and a video on the Extreme Terrain site. I believe I can live with it.
Anyone using this Hi Lift Mounting Bracket, or had any experience with it?? Opinions.

Bob R
Old 06-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I wouldn't put any extra weight on those factory hinges. I've got a hi-lift mount on my JK with the MorRyde hinges, tire carrier, and hi-lift mount but I wouldn't bother with the factory hinges. Speaking to just having the hi-lift on the back and driving around- there's no point really. It's a nice tool for the trail but I don't need some junky walking off with it (though mine has nyloc nuts) and I don't care for the added height, which you've already taken care of.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

ksrls10jk some good points. You would be the perfect person to tell us about the MORryde HD Hinges. Do you also have the MORryde Hi Lift Jack Rack, or another brand? Very interested in your observations. The HD Hinges in the $150 range are probably a good investment in a Jeep that will not get heavily modified for off road use.

You break the door welds normally with Big, Heavy, or improperly mounted tires on the Factory Tire Carrier from what I read.
The Hi Lift Jack Rack mounts to the Door Hinge, so breaking the door welds should not be an issue, just the wear on the hinges. The HD Hinges should take care of the added weight of the Hi Lift Jack in my application where I have no plans on huge tires being mounted to the factory Tire carrier.

Bob R
Old 06-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Bob,

MorRyde's system is great. The heavy duty hinges make closing my tailgate (with beadlocks and 35's) effortless. It's easier to close than my girlfriend's stock 2016. You've got to paint where the factory failed to, but other than that, they're grand. They're greaseable which isn't something I see them advertising much. It's just two more spots to grease and I figure they'll outlast the Jeep.

Yes, I've got the MorRyde hi-lift mount as well and it's ok. Not as well developed, in my opinion, as the rest of the system. That being said- it works out really well for carrying a jack. You've got to take the time to adjust the two pieces just right but it held the jack all day out wheeling and scraping the low hanging branches.

I bought all of the MorRyde stuff at full cost, nobody paid me to say anything...though they did send a t-shirt and stickers when I asked for it. I have the hinges, the gate reinforcement, and the tire carrier piece, as well as the hi-lift mount. I modified the third brake light mount so it would be consistently in the center of the tire and wouldn't block any more of the back than necessary.

Photo before I cut down the mount for the stock CHMSL, but it basically sits in the same place. I'd buy it all again.

Last edited by karls10jk; 06-25-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

How do you lift the back? I did not see Tabs to keep the jack from sliding sideways.
Are you using the Shackles as a jack point, of have something else worked out?

I have Jack Tabs on my back AEV Bumper.
My front AEV Bumper is mated with a stock Jeep front skid plate, which does not have the jack cut out like the AEV Skid Plate does. I will probably need to either add the cut outs to my Jeep Skid Plate to get the jack under the bumper further, or see how jacking off the Front Shackles will work out. I am reasonably sure that I will modify the skid plate anyway for more jacking options.

The hinges look good by the way, and thanks for your input.

Bob R
Old 06-26-2019, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

That's the piece that makes the hi-lift a tool that I rarely use- I typically don't jack with it at all. I use the jack for breaking beads and as an auxiliary winch. Outside of those two tasks, I don't really use it for the Jeep. The marketing on them is great but the reality is that if you're jacking up from your bumper then you've got a lot of suspension to take up before you'll get anywhere. They sell extra pieces to where you could jack up just the wheel and then stack blocks under the axle to change a tire but that's a lot of work when the factory jack and AEV base will do the same thing.

To put some perspective on things here, I'm anal about my tires so it's highly unlikely that I would run into a situation where I'm using the jack to change one. Also, it's my daily driver of 200k miles so a hi-lift looks a little silly for someone driving on the highway for an hour each day. I'll take it when I go off-road but unfortunately I don't get the opportunity to get out very frequently.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Our Old truck which is a 2005 RAM 2500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, Automatic has right at 280K and the spare has never been out from under the bed. It has Cooper Discoverer AT3's on it at the moment. I believe we have had three sets of the same tire it came out with on it, and we are on the second set of Coopers. I am not a fan of flats either.
I have owned a Hi Lift Jack forever. My full length one was bought new from Tharp Hardware in Norwood Missouri in 1973. It started out living behind the seat of my 1971 Chevy Pickup. I bought it after changing a tire Seven times in the snow with a bottle jack. The geniuses working at the tire shop could not figure out the tire had something in it putting a hole in the same place in the tube every time. I was working at Western Auto and finally broke it down myself. It had a nail in a stud hole that when you hit a rock just right would punch the tube then retract back into the tire where you could not feel it. Later on this jack was on a Front Bumper Mount on my FJ40 Land Cruiser. It has been on farm duty since then.

The cut down Hi Lift lived in the back of my 1993 Cherokee Police Package Jeep. I cut it off to fit the space available. It had tabs on the after market bumpers front and back. I have changed tires with it.

I live 17 miles out of a small town in the Missouri Ozark Mountains. I can start Four Wheeling in the Wilderness starting 100 feet behind my house if I decide to.
We can be at a landing on the Big Piney River, Current River or Jacks Fork River to Canoe or Kayak within 30 minutes from our house.
I am sorta retired. I did the 60 mile drive to work for 33 years Plus my two years Army time for a total of 35 years. I now work two days one week and three the next at the local hardware store. I have been President of the local Sportsman's Club since 1986. I spend a lot of time mowing Grass and Fixing things at the Club. Friday morning I will fire up the Stick Burner Rotisserie and start cooking 4 Pork Loins and making Cold Slaw for the Saturday Tactical Rifle Match. Saturday afternoon after cleaning up from the rifle match dinner I will start working on Hamburgers for the Club Hamburger Fry Saturday evening.
Deer Season I can be in any of five tree stands in less than a five minute walk from my house. I pretty much live in the best place I know of for an outdoor person.
I guess my point is, I do use my jack's. After watching several Jack Recovery Videos I do need more kit to do this safely.

Bob R
Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bringing up an old thread. We installed the rugged ridge hi lift jack mounting bracket, along with a jack, and the first time my wife opened her tailgate, the jack hit her tail light and broke it. I can't imagine this is a rare problem, as it is a manufactured jack mount etc, and just about all the hi lift jacks are the same. I tried searching for some sort of tail gate limiter but didn't find anything.

anyone else have this problem, or a solution to keep the tailgate from opening all the way?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I don't have the issue with the MorRyde and I can't say I've heard of it in the past with other brands. I did mount mine directly to the hinges at a 45° angle and did manage to put a small bump in the corner- but that was entirely my own fault for trying DIY without considering the space the jack takes up.

In regards to a stop- the early years didn't have the stopper but newer years have a stopper that can be installed on older models with some work. It'll give you a little bump for the tailgate to stop before opening further.

Quick Reply: MOPAR Hi Lift Jack Rack