Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Popped weld inside the body?

Old 06-22-2019, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popped weld inside the body?

This little dent was the result of a trailer jackknife. Ever since, there is loud banging from inside that body panel whenever there's a bump. The noise makes off-roading almost intolerable. It's coming from inside the body panel, so my guess is a weld popped and pieces of body are hitting each other inside. I don't really have the cash to take this to a body shop for exploratory surgery, so I was wondering if any of you might have any thoughts. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe that part of the body has moved enough to change the alignment between the door latch and the body-mounted striker.

Take the door off and see if you still hear the bang when going over bumps.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't know, are you sure you're not just showing off the cool sticker? Look at you smiling. Just kidding, of course. Ronjenx has some good advice. If that doesn't work out, you might try using a borescoop to have a peek into there.

Quick Reply: Popped weld inside the body?