Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Should i buy toppled 2015 JKU

Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy toppled 2015 JKU

Hey Jeepers,

I am a Jeep owner for past 8 years and i am buying a JKU now.
The Jeep is under warranty till June 2020 and has been serviced at the agency. The service history is available as well.

The Jeep was toppled in April 2017 and was repaired at the agency. I have test driven it and drives well and smooth.

Should the tipping over a point of concern or as it was serviced in the agency and the warranty is intact, i should go for it?

Please help.

Cheers.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Assuming the prior topple warranted enough discount relative to other vehicles, I wouldn't be afraid of buying something like that.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What was damaged, what was replaced, those things factor into the decision for me.

But honestly as long as the frame and such are in good shape, and the repairs are top notch, with an attractive price point...I'd be interested if it's the Jeep I was after.

I picked up my higher mileage 2012 JKUR for a good bit less than market value due to some of the things that were worn out. It had good "bones" so to speak so I jumped on it for $21K compared to the $26K or more others were going for in my area. The value was there for me, obviously not for others.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toppled ?...I assume you meant it was Rolled over or Laid on it's side ?....If it rolled or laid over, how long did the engine keep running before the engine was shut off ?...I would worry about how long the engine kept running when it was on it's roof or side with no oil getting pumped. Did the dealer (agency) inspect the engine rod & main bearings ?....Did they cut the oil filter open to see if there were flakes of bearing material in it. If they didn't check the rod & main bearings, you might already have adhesion wear in the bearings due to running with no oil. The main bearings are the first to loose oil and the rod bearings are the last to loose oil due to the crankshaft throwing the oil outwards to the rod journals. You might ask to run an engine oil sample at Blackstone or a Caterpillar lab. I mainly a diesel mechanic in my back ground, and I'm not sure of the crankshaft bearing compisition of the 3.6's, but you should see high ppm of lead, tin, copper, & aluminum for crankshaft bearing wear.

From the Caterpillar crankshaft bearing wear failure analysis guide.

Quick Reply: Should i buy toppled 2015 JKU