Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded exhaust?

Old 07-12-2019, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgraded exhaust?

What have you guys done to upgrade your exhaust systems from the block down, including cats?

I am curious if there is a way to modify or have a custom system done to improve from stock cats. Maybe a way to get rid of some of them, from four to two or something.

I see the bbk header version, but $1200???
Old 07-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

I think the best way for a budget system is to use the dual outlet muffler that fits directly in place of stock. Apparently they flow about 725CFM which is more than enough for our engines. This is what I am using on the Gen V 5.3 Chev conversion I am in the process of doing. But a word of caution - be careful what you spend money on as, more often than not, there are no gains. If you delete CATs then be ready to go into the program and make some algorithm changes as the ECU uses data from all 4 O2 sensors to calibrate the fuel burn etc to optimise efficiency, power and economy. You could end up slowing the vehicle down and using more fuel.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 07-14-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I think the best way for a budget system is to use the dual outlet muffler that fits directly in place of stock. Apparently they flow about 725CFM which is more than enough for our engines. This is what I am using on the Gen V 5.3 Chev conversion I am in the process of doing. But a word of caution - be careful what you spend money on as, more often than not, there are no gains. If you delete CATs then be ready to go into the program and make some algorithm changes as the ECU uses data from all 4 O2 sensors to calibrate the fuel burn etc to optimise efficiency, power and economy. You could end up slowing the vehicle down and using more fuel.

I was considering this. But the stock system I have seems to be in pretty bad shape where the cats are. But I have to see what a shop says about them.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

It seems all of the aftermarket exhausts for JK are pretty pricy.

I'm sure there are others that make this sort of thing for the 3.8, but AFE has something like you're talking about. It is claiming power gains as well, but I never really believe that sort of thing. It is pricy:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-48-46...-street-series
Old 07-14-2019, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I think headers and after market cats have more than there fair share of problems. And if there is any significant improvement in VE (volumetric efficiency) the PCM will have to be tuned properly, else it may run too lean in open-loop mode.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tjkamp
It seems all of the aftermarket exhausts for JK are pretty pricy.

I'm sure there are others that make this sort of thing for the 3.8, but AFE has something like you're talking about. It is claiming power gains as well, but I never really believe that sort of thing. It is pricy:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-48-46...-street-series
Originally Posted by Mr.T
I think headers and after market cats have more than there fair share of problems. And if there is any significant improvement in VE (volumetric efficiency) the PCM will have to be tuned properly, else it may run too lean in open-loop mode.

Oh boy!!

That looks awesome. Maybe if AFE found out what kind of year I have had with everything and my Jeep engine throwing a rod on our way to my nephews graduation ($5900 Replacement Engine) they would donate one 🤷*♂️😜

Quick Reply: Upgraded exhaust?