Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo Open Country A/T II Tire Pressure

Old 07-15-2019, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Open Country A/T II Tire Pressure

Good Morning,

Relatively new Jeep Owner here.

I have a 2016 JK with a 2in Mopar Lift on it. Low Pressure light came on the other night at the start of a long drive home. Drove 2 hours and the tires looked fine, sat in the garage all day Sunday and looked fine this morning. Was worried about a slow leak, but it looks to just need some air.

I know normally you would find your tire sizes and psi inside the driver door, but I figured it would be different given the Mopar lift.

I have Toyo Open Country A/T II tires LT305/70/R17s aka 35s???

Anyone provide me with the correct pressure or a site that would have it?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I think with any E rated tire you want to be somewhere in the 26-28psi range. You will want a programmer like AEV procal or something similar to lower the psi threshold so your light does not come on all the time.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

26-28 seems a little low considering most cars run 32 psi. Does the Load Rating change the psi?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Once you increase tires size, factory pressure specs are thrown out the window. The lift has nothing to do with it, but what does is both the tires size and the load weighting. You have a larger tire with a big sidewall, and a very stiff sidewall at that (E rating). PSI is not going to be an exact science here as it will also depend on the weight of the jeep. You really want to run a PSI that is allowing the full tread to contact the pavement. You're going to have a big trade off of comfort vs. fuel economy vs. tire wear. It's all just part of the modified life. I'd agree with the typical PSI jadmt notes above given the E rating of the tire. So many people buy E rated tires not even realizing it, while most would be better off buying a C rated tire. For what it's worth, that tire is going to have to be VERY low psi before it visually looks like it's low.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. Plus your JK is pretty light. Especially compared to the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that E rated tires are normally mounted on.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

@resharp001 I agree, hence why I didn't bother to look in the driver's side door at the psi chart. The tires were on it when I bought it a few months ago, since then, I put around 3k miles on it. Surprisingly it drives well, seems smooth on the highway, but this is my first Jeep, so I don't really have anything to compare. Here is a pic:
Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Y, there's no REAL right or wrong, just what suits you best. Lower is going to feel better and result in better wear, but also create more drag. Not sure if you have one, but some programmers these days will allow you to lower the threshold to receive a low PSI alarm. A lot of people turn that alarm off or go without TPMS all together.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Alright 26-28 it is! Thanks for your input! I came from a sports car and that drag on the jeep is tough to get use to lol. Like the one meme shows a Jeep is less Aerodynamic than a cow lol.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

anything more than 28psi on a 2 door is nuts. Here is a good test for you to try. check cold psi first thing in the am when tires are stone cold and no sun has shined on them. Now record that psi (hopefully 28psi or close to it) now go for a drive at highway speeds for 10 miles and stop and check psi again. If it has risen 10% you are golden ie if your new psi is 31psi ie 28 + 2.8=30.8 which is close enough to 31.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, update lol!!!! I went to Speedway to check my tire pressure, after driving 20 mins cause it was on my way home. The meter read 39 psi for 3 and 37 for 1 tire. So, I called tire discounters and they said 35 psi!!!!! So, now I am confused lol

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country A/T II Tire Pressure