Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Tusken Raider | Jeep JKU Build

Old 07-18-2019, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tusken Raider | Jeep JKU Build

TUSKEN RAIDER
2014 JEEP JKU SAHARA - DUNE

UPGRADES & MODIFICATIONS

SUSPENSION:

Lift | AEV 2” Budget Boost
Bumpstops | Timbren Active Off-Road Bumpstops | Front & Rear

WHEELS & TIRES:
Wheels | Method Race Wheels NV | 17x8.5"
Tires | BFG All Terrain K02 | 34x10.5"

ARMOR:
Front Bumper:
• Rubicon Hardrock/10A & Skid Plate
• Maximus-3 Classic Hoop
• Maximus-3 Stubby Front Bumper End Caps
• Maximus-3 Aux Light Bracket
• Maximus-3 Stealth Mount License Plate Bracket (Not Installed Yet)

Rear Bumper | AEV
Front & Rear Diff Covers | Nitro Gear & Axle

LIGHTING:
Headlights | Spyder Auto
Fog Lights | Baja Designs Squadron Sport For Rubicon Hardrock/10A Bumper
Taillights | Spyder Auto Smoke Black
Rock Lights | Baja Designs Rock Light Kit in Amber
Aux Front Bumper Lights | Baja Designs LP9 Pros (Not Installed Yet)

EXTRAS:
Teraflex | HD Tire Carrier w/ Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit
Rhino Rack | Pioneer Platform w/ Backbone System
CVT | Mt.Rainier Rooftop Tent w/ Annex
WeatherTech | Front & Rear Floor Liners
Maximus-3 | Mag-Lite Mount
Yakima | Spare Tire Bike Rack
Rugged Ridge | Trailer Hitch Receiver
Dometic | CFX-35W Fridge

Last edited by TusknRaidr; 07-25-2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Installed the Rugged Ridge Trailer Hitch Receiver. Apart from a few nuts that are difficult to get started because of their location in between the bumper and the frame it was a super easy install. Even with the difficult location of that nut the install only took about 20 minutes.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That us a nice, clean build.
The following users liked this post:
TusknRaidr (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Got a chance to do some towing this weekend. Pulled our 13’ Zodiac and explored some places that our Jeep (capable though it is) just can’t go.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks man! I took a look at your build - love what you’re doing. How do you like the 3.5” AEV lift?
Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

A little while ago I got my hands on some Baja Designs Squadron Sport fog lights. These things are beasts. They pump out 3150 lumens and are built to be impenetrable and it shows. Best of all they came with mounting brackets specifically for the Rubicon Hardrock bumper so the install was easy.

However, a few years ago, on a Sunday morning, as our family was heading out the door to church, I noticed two large holes where my Spyder Auto taillights once were. They had been stolen in the middle of the night. Since that incident I’ve been a bit of a stickler for adding tamper proof hardware to the easier to remove items on the Jeep. So even though it would take a bit of work for a thief to get the Baja Designs fog light off I wanted to add a bit more of a deterrent.

The other thing that bothered me about the the Rubicon Hardrock bumper was that when you remove the end caps to go with a stubby style bumper you’re left with a noticeably large cavity on either end.

Enter Maximus-3.

I was looking around on Maximus-3’s website for goodies for the Jeep (they make killer stuff, especially their product for the Rubicon Hardrock bumper. And their quality is top notch) and I came across these Rubicon Hardrock stubby front bumper end caps. These will solve both issues that I had: 1) They create a solid deterrent for anyone wanting to walk off with my Baja Designs fog lights and 2) they fill in that awful cavity that just collects dirt.

The install was about 5 minutes, they just reuse the two OEM bolts that were already there.

Super pumped with this little mod. Everything is looking much cleaner 👌🏻

Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

That stinks to have things stolen... I have lost two sets of d-Rings... now I use a screwdriver and crank them on very tight. I had vandals kick out some fog lights... but they were very cheap so I didn't miss them much. I have KC lazers on there now... and pretty sure they would be easy to steal if someone wanted them bad enough! Never thought about bolting them differently... maybe with a torx bolt or something?
Old 07-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

JW Speaker made some tamper proof screws at one point in time, I think rigid did too. Factor 55 made a winch lock too. The jk tail lights are so easy to steal though that I can't imagine making them tamper proof. The other one you want to look into is "security torx", they'll deter the easy/ quick thefts.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
That stinks to have things stolen... I have lost two sets of d-Rings... now I use a screwdriver and crank them on very tight. I had vandals kick out some fog lights... but they were very cheap so I didn't miss them much. I have KC lazers on there now... and pretty sure they would be easy to steal if someone wanted them bad enough! Never thought about bolting them differently... maybe with a torx bolt or something?

Yea, usually I go with something like a button head torx bolt if that’s all I can do. But unfortunately, lots of torx sets come with a hole in the key for those button bolts. I recently added some tamper proof nuts to secure my Baja LP9’s to the bumper. So far the tamper proof nut is the best because the bit for it is so uncommon. I debated going with a break away nut but if I ever wanted to remove them it would be a big headache.

I don’t have a picture on hand of the tamper proof nut but here is a drawing of them.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
JW Speaker made some tamper proof screws at one point in time, I think rigid did too. Factor 55 made a winch lock too. The jk tail lights are so easy to steal though that I can't imagine making them tamper proof. The other one you want to look into is "security torx", they'll deter the easy/ quick thefts.
The JK taillights are stupid easy to remove. 4 screws and two wiring harnesses later and you have yourself brand new taillights.

The problem I’ve found with getting tamper proof hardware from places like JW Speaker or Rigid is that they normally cost way more than they should. So I’ve gone the route of trying to sort out what I need and sourcing them from a fastener company myself. Takes a bit longer and I risk not getting it right the first time but much cheaper. I looked at Tepui tents tamper proof hardware set for their rooftop tent recently and they’re asking $70 for a few pieces of hardware. I’d rather spend less and source it myself.

Last edited by TusknRaidr; 07-26-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Tusken Raider | Jeep JKU Build