Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My Jeep is rattling itself to death.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Jeep is rattling itself to death.

So far two bolts have come off the interior trim and the roof panel knobs. I cannot tighten the loose bolts on the pillars...not sure why unless they are stripped.

Anyway, it rides great on blacktop but I have 5 miles of washboard road to get there and that is where the ride is horrible. It is a 2010 2 DR Sahara. It has Yokohama Geolander A/T tires. and stock;;;no lift. The air pressure was at 45 psi...morons at the garage must have done that at the last oil change and I lowered it to 30 and it helped a lot but now the TPMS idiot light is on....but that is no biggy. Wondering if it would be safe to go to 25 psi?

Is there a softer riding shock that would help me out. I see on YouTube that they are no to difficult to replace.

I am not interested in a lift kit. Would replace tires if I needed to but they are like new. Would prefer not to have to change springs but open to it.

I ride a few log trails and two tracks but nothing challenging. Need a tire that will work in snow (Northern MI) if a tire change is suggested.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

If you're happy with the jeep and it satisfies your needs, I'd leave the factory suspension alone. I say that cuz as soon as you start jacking with suspension you open a can of worms that is much larger than you can imagine. Some people want the look of a lifted jeep so bad that it doesn't matter to them. You're not going to see this huge performance increase or anything. The main reason to lift is if you want larger tires that won't fit with the current suspension, and again....just opens that can of worms.

Air pressure in the tires is probably going to make the biggest difference, but if you're constantly transitioning between those washboards and then extended pavement mileage at high speeds, that would be a real hassle.

What bolts on the pillar are you having issues tightening?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you tried driving slower?
Old 07-21-2019, 03:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dverna
So far two bolts have come off the interior trim and the roof panel knobs. I cannot tighten the loose bolts on the pillars...not sure why unless they are stripped.

...morons at the garage must have done that at the last oil change and I lowered it to 30 and it helped a lot but now the TPMS idiot light is on....but that is no biggy. Wondering if it would be safe to go to 25 psi?

Pull out those roof panel knobs and put them somewhere you can find them in how many ever years when you decide to sell your Jeep. Are you sure the "pillar bolts" are actual bolts (or I'm thinking screws)? There are things around the Jeep that look like Phillips head screws, but are actually just plastic push plugs. Lower your tire pressure to 18-20 for washboard roads. Maybe down to 12-15 for deep snow, sand, rock crawling. Always put it back up near 30-35 (do a chalk test) for highway driving (except VERY short distances to a gas station at VERY slow speeds if you don't have a compressor). You can get rid of that annoying TPMS light with a programmer. AEV's is one of many popular models.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-21-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 1/2 mile of dirt washboard to drive, along with 5 miles of paved road every day. Luckily I don't have rattles, but the washboard is really harsh. After doing a 4wd off road run aired down to 25 psi I left the pressure there for a while and the washboard was a lot better. After a while I did notice a little wearing on the tire edges from the pavement so I put the pressure back to the standard 37 psi. Lower tire pressure is the key. I also only drive about 15 mph on the washboard, but that would be hard for you to do for 5 miles. From what I've read a lot of people run larger tires at 28 or so psi anyway. You'd be good to go with a tire pressure around 25-28 psi, especially if you don't mind a little wear on the tire edges.

Last edited by bbolander; 07-21-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

How many miles on those OEM shocks? I bet they are shot and that's why you are rattled to death. Tires and shocks make a big difference when going fast. My OME shocks don't last me more that 45k really but I'd rather replace them early. Much better drive.

Get new shocks and air down your tires a lot. If that doesn't help it's time for more upgrades and the Jeep money cycle begins.

Quick Reply: My Jeep is rattling itself to death.